Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, back to the usual I guess--the '93 FWB is on semi-permanent "parkage" right now.

Apparently, a few weeks ago, my father was doing the typical out for a quick spin to the store and to refill with fuel in the Fleetwood and made it about 4 miles or so down the road (about 45mph all the way to that point). Was just about to get out of town, sort of, and when speeding up just a bit to around 50/55'ish, the car started chugging and clearly had a miss. Said he pulled over and looked under the hood, checking wires, plugs, etc. and wiggled a couple things. Turned it off and back on, and started driving again, and everything seemed fine--until today that was.

I was out for a similar spin to the store and at the EXACT same place, I was about to go from 45 to a little over 50, and felt a shaking and could clearly tell the car was missing. Pulled over, sat for a minute or two and then decided it would probably be best just to get home *if* I could make it. So, despite the semi-bad shaking on acceleration, I tried my hardest to feather the throttle just enough to get to a point where I could semi-coast and stay there. Didn't seem to shake and miss too much right off from zero, and if I maintained a steady 20'ish, it was smooth. But, when I was trying to get up to slightly normal speeds so I wouldn't get run over, there was a bad clang/pop (pretty sure it was backfiring) right around 35. It pretty much just chugs, misses, and shakes under any kind of throttle/acceleration.

Made it home, thankfully (didn't think I would), and we've checked it out a little since then, but haven't found much. After dark, he went out and put it on ramps and wanted to try and see if he could see any sparking and said he noticed a bit of an odd spark "near" the area of the distributor. Couldn't tell what it was or where it was coming from, but said there was a spark in that area. The plugs and wires both seem fine to him after checking them a few times, but there's always the possibility.

Any ideas? The sparking near the distributor seemed odd to me, and it really shakes and chugs badly, but it is possible to still "cruise" lightly and do it smoothly. Still, misses too badly to keep driving it (and would be pretty difficult), so the car isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The weirdest part? It did it that day for a little bit with my dad, then went away for about 2 weeks without anything ever being worked on. So, as he told me ot say "it sorta comes and goes":cookoo:

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
Definitely sounds ignition related. Time for a distributor R&R, so it seems....

Might want to check plug condition, gap, etc....

But distributor or wires would be my best guess at this point....

Good luck

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what someone else, with a '92 that had the same symptoms told me--cap and rotor were their culprits. Actually, they also said the coolant temp sensor had busted and had caused a bit of the problem too, but the cap & rotor were the main cause.

Having a hard time getting my father to believe that, since he's "never had that go bad on any car", but he's a bit thick at times. As is, still trying to get an appointment at the Chevy dealer (he likes them, I guess, after they did the ball joint on the car last time) to get it fixed. Only problem is, I don't know how he plans on driving the car the 20 min. highway cruise it takes to get there considering how it runs...and knowing that it really SHOULDN'T be driven as is. Guess we'll just have to hope for another "odd" day where it fixes itself and then re-occurs at the shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts