Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching and there is way to many scenarios to figure out whats exactly wrong. Im hoping someone can help with mine.

93 Fleetwood Brougham interior lights won't go off they just stay on.

Headlight and sentinel switch are all the way to left. With all doors shut and key in "on" position lights are still on and won't turn off. No door ajar light is on. Tried locking doors and waiting a few minutes lights still stayed on. Sprayed a little WD-40 on each hinge and open/closed each door a few times hoping to free the door switch, didn't work.

Help what can I do??? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,448 Posts
Did you read through the other thread (a few below yours) "interior lights stay on"

Might be something there.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read a bunch not sure if one was that exact one. Going to try slamming a few doors as mentioned and tapping the switch with a dead blow to see if I can locate the problem door switch.

I also read in another thread which I can't find anymore, that because my door locks don't engage when driving it was another issue. I was thinking maybe it was something to do with the trunk release and pull down not working. It's kind of confusing reading all this stuff about these cars.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did a couple test and still stumped.. I need help

Put WD-40 on latches, slammed doors with lights on no signs or flicker or lights shutting off. Tapped latches with dead blow hammer, repeated. Still won't shut off

Looking for a bad door switch.I put the fuse back in shut the doors ,didn't lock, waited 10 minutes lights went out. I open up a door lights came on, waited 10 minutes, lights went out. I repeated this for each door looking to find one that would not turn the lights on.

Next I started the car with all the doors closed, waited 10 minutes, Lights would NOT go out like when car was off. I don't know to tell which is the bad door switch to disconnect it. What else you it be?

Doors don't lock when driving.
No door or trunk ajar warning light.
CCM fuses good.
Alarm does not go off randomly.
Key fob works but trunk release does not work or in-cab release button

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,403 Posts
I think you might have a problem with your remote module. Try to disconnect your battery for a minute and see if it make it better. If it does get better it will mess up again and you will have to get another one. The module is located under the third brake light. From the back seat you can take off the third brake light cover and pull out the module. But most of the time disconnecting the bat fixes it for a bit.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you might have a problem with your remote module. Try to disconnect your battery for a minute and see if it make it better. If it does get better it will mess up again and you will have to get another one. The module is located under the third brake light. From the back seat you can take off the third brake light cover and pull out the module. But most of the time disconnecting the bat fixes it for a bit.
Unfortunately disconnecting the battery for 15 min did not do it. I pulled off the 3rd brake light cover pushed the clips up from the trunk to loosen the box but I could not get it out. Do I need to remove the deck carpet or 3rd brake light, if so how do I? thank you

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Sorry I could not get back to you sooner , I was out of town. The box under the third brake light has a couple of clips that hold it in place. Once I get them off I don't put them back ..I did not remove the deck carpet. Just pry the clips that are holding it in. Lets see how things act with the module disconnected.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
You may also try these :
Turn the headlamp knob at the left hand side above Twilight Sentinel ,you must be hearing a click noise
There are hard to spot hidden buttons at each interior lights there are 4 of them located atop the door or above your head , just press them . If one of them is stuck open it makes interior lights stay lit

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I could not get back to you sooner , I was out of town. The box under the third brake light has a couple of clips that hold it in place. Once I get them off I don't put them back ..I did not remove the deck carpet. Just pry the clips that are holding it in. Lets see how things act with the module disconnected.
I can't seem to unhook the clips for the wires. I can loosen the unit by pushing up on the tabs from the trunk but can't feel the wires to it from the 3rd brake light area. I used an inspection mirror to get a better view. I can see the box just can't see any wires to it. Do you know what color the wires are? I have 4 wires (a white, purple, light & dark blue) in the center of the trunk that go no where and look cut.

Im almost 100% sure you might have just blown your body fuse.
I check both the body fuses under the hood, they are good. My Pwr lumbar and seat heater thats on the body 1 fuse work and my cigarette lighter, HVAC head unit control on the body 2 fuse work. Checked all my other fuses and none were blown.

You may also try these :
Turn the headlamp knob at the left hand side above Twilight Sentinel ,you must be hearing a click noise
There are hard to spot hidden buttons at each interior lights there are 4 of them located atop the door or above your head , just press them . If one of them is stuck open it makes interior lights stay lit
Hidden buttons? Do you have a picture of one. I looked all around pulled down the etc and I didn't see any secret tabs or switches to hit.

I don't know what to do next would have been nice if it was just a fuse. Any other way to disconnect or test that box under the 3rd brake light? Thats only other avenue I have to go on right now. I really don't want to take all 4 door panels off to disconnect all the latch switches I don't feel comfortable taking the off the door panels. Thanks all so for help I really want to get the "Cadillac" features to work she's older but still a luxury car.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
$_35.JPG

I have reached my quota that's why I am uploading using URL off ebay
See the crystal light and there is a button hard to notice at glance in Fleetwood Broughams . I forgot it was either towards right of left side to the rectangular light

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like you've found the culprit.
According to drmenard that could be helping my situation he wanted to see how things acted with it disconnected. If those 4 wires to indeed go to that module under the 3rd brake light which is the Remote control door lock receiver & theft deterrent box then its already "disconnected". My power door locks work though and when I press the trunk release from the remote I can hear a click coming from that box. I haven't been able to get at the clip on the back to check for wires.This is a royal PITA :rant2:

View attachment 400834

I have reached my quota that's why I am uploading using URL off ebay
See the crystal light and there is a button hard to notice at glance in Fleetwood Broughams . I forgot it was either towards right of left side to the rectangular light
Im gonna go back out to the car and take a better look. I tapped all those lights and they seemed ok but ill investigate a little deep and see what I get. Thank you

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These remedies didn't seem to help my situation the lights still won't go out and the car is doing some other funny business. I pulled the engine battery the other day to charge it and when I reinstalled it the door chime was working, the door chime has never worked for me. I installed a stereo with metra harness and I pulled battery again to load test it and when I reinstalled it again the door chime stopped working.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
see my post #7.. If your lights work ok with that module disconnected , then its the module.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The courtecy lighting on these is 100x more complicated then it needs to be.
Most cars when there the interior lights stay on 98% of the time it's either a maunal switch left on or a grounded door jam switch easily accesable with the door open.
On the last Fleetwoods you can even see the plastic filler plug in the pillers where this switch once was.

Understand the last Fleetwoods had a few systems turn on & off the interior lights.
1. Manual switch on dash as before combined in dash dimmer switch.
2. Courtesy light switchs now inside the doors turns on with the doors open or ajar on 2nd latch.
3. Illumited entry switchs inside the door turn on the interior lamps for 30 seconds when you pull any door handle, & off when ignition is turned on.
4. Tamper switches on both door lock & truck lock cylinders.
5. Remote keyless entry.
6. Theft Deturant Alarm option.
7. Delayed interior light system turns interior lights off after 10 minutes for power drain protection.
8. There is also a different door ajar contact in each door connected to the dash warning light, but does not work the interior lights.

As noticed the auto door locking feature it tied to the door switch status.

So it's 3 different electronic modules, many switches & relays.
The body control module BCM aka central control module CCM is primarly the controller of the interior lights.

Dignosis & repair was under the assumption you can pull codes & data from the CCM.
Factory scanners have reading for all the switches.

the 2nd option is to use the HVAC programmer to get codes.
At this point you could really use a factory service manual to help retriving codes, trouble trees, wiering diagrams, & componant locators.

There are some plugs that can be disconected to help isolate the switches without removing door panels.
The drivers A piller plug #C302 (10 cavities) with a tan wire & drivers B piller bottom #C304 (8 cavities) with a gray wire.
Could try disconecting the keyless entry module or theft module.
No central point of disconecting all the tamper switches.
At that point the BCM could be disconected & checked for grounded inputs such as the tamper switches.

Another method is diconect the door and tamper switches.
The trunk tamper switch is easy to access below the trunk lock cylinder.
After that it would be door panel removal time starting with the door used the most.

There is probibly another way disconecting the door wiering where it connects to the pillars.
That probibly would be my last choice.

Many have also reported trouble with the BCM going bad.
Can't start the car without the BCM.
Not a quick swap as they are set to the Vats 2 key code.

2 other things to pay attention is the door ajar light on & is the key in ignition chime going with the key in & door closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my 94 Fleetwood. Brace yourselves, it was the turn signal switch! What led me to this was I only had the top outboard brake lights and high mount stop light coming on when I pressed the brake pedal. In addition, the interior lights would be constantly on with the ignition in the run position. They would shut off 10 minutes after the ignition was shut off. The CCM in the trunk controls the interior lights, among other things. The CCM also controls the retained accessory power feature. I would suspect that if the lights don't go out exactly 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off the CCM is bad. It's Cardone part number 73-7386. No programming is necessary. Parts store cataloging will call it the BCM or body control module. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The courtecy lighting on these is 100x more complicated then it needs to be.
Most cars when there the interior lights stay on 98% of the time it's either a maunal switch left on or a grounded door jam switch easily accesable with the door open.
On the last Fleetwoods you can even see the plastic filler plug in the pillers where this switch once was.

Understand the last Fleetwoods had a few systems turn on & off the interior lights.
1. Manual switch on dash as before combined in dash dimmer switch.
2. Courtesy light switchs now inside the doors turns on with the doors open or ajar on 2nd latch.
3. Illumited entry switchs inside the door turn on the interior lamps for 30 seconds when you pull any door handle, & off when ignition is turned on.
4. Tamper switches on both door lock & truck lock cylinders.
5. Remote keyless entry.
6. Theft Deturant Alarm option.
7. Delayed interior light system turns interior lights off after 10 minutes for power drain protection.
8. There is also a different door ajar contact in each door connected to the dash warning light, but does not work the interior lights.

As noticed the auto door locking feature it tied to the door switch status.

So it's 3 different electronic modules, many switches & relays.
The body control module BCM aka central control module CCM is primarly the controller of the interior lights.

Dignosis & repair was under the assumption you can pull codes & data from the CCM.
Factory scanners have reading for all the switches.

the 2nd option is to use the HVAC programmer to get codes.
At this point you could really use a factory service manual to help retriving codes, trouble trees, wiering diagrams, & componant locators.

There are some plugs that can be disconected to help isolate the switches without removing door panels.
The drivers A piller plug #C302 (10 cavities) with a tan wire & drivers B piller bottom #C304 (8 cavities) with a gray wire.
Could try disconecting the keyless entry module or theft module.
No central point of disconecting all the tamper switches.
At that point the BCM could be disconected & checked for grounded inputs such as the tamper switches.

Another method is diconect the door and tamper switches.
The trunk tamper switch is easy to access below the trunk lock cylinder.
After that it would be door panel removal time starting with the door used the most.

There is probibly another way disconecting the door wiering where it connects to the pillars.
That probibly would be my last choice.

Many have also reported trouble with the BCM going bad.
Can't start the car without the BCM.
Not a quick swap as they are set to the Vats 2 key code.

2 other things to pay attention is the door ajar light on & is the key in ignition chime going with the key in & door closed.
Nice detail LV_cady,

I think my issue resolved after taking down the lights over the doors. i found rust flakes piling up on the contacts to the lights.

Sadly i spend more than i should to get the old cadi running close to new, only to find major rust under the top. explains why the in side was so damp and a lot of light surface corrosion in places.

Kevin

sigh...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts