Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 brougham that will not start. I replaced the rotor and cap and because the caps was bad. The car ran great for a week and now has the same symptom. Won't start and no spark. I don't have a spark from the ignition coil. Does this mean the the coil is bad or possibly the ignition module. I measure 12v output from the coil with just the ignition in start. When I crank it the voltage dropped to 9.6. I'm not a good car mechanic so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Its possible for either the coil or the module to go bad. Check the coil by Ohming it out. To do this, you need a Multi-meter of some sort. Disconnect the wiring connectors from the coil and connect the multimeter as described below. The Specifications are:

Positive to coil frame- infinite
Positive to negative- 0.3-0.5 ohms
Positive to secondary output- 7000-9000 ohms

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx, I was ready to make those resistance checks. In look ing at the module, coil, and cap relation I trying to figure out if the module is responsible, via its internal switch, to turn on the secondary voltage in the coil or not. My thinking is that if I don't have a spark from the high end on the coil then the coil is not stepping the voltage up, or is it that the module did not gate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made the resistance measurements and all were in spec. Replaced the ignition module and she started right up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
DaveSmed