Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ETC had to sit for 5 weeks while I was on vacation to Europe & Africa this summer (college graduation gift) and when I got back there was a moderately large oil stain on the driveway. Where i usually park on the street Ive tagged up pretty good in the 2 weeks or so ive been home. Im wondering what to do about it, whether something just not screwed in right and an oil change or soemthing will do the trick, or whether the pan needs to be replaced or what. Any information on how to diagnose the problem or fix it would be much appreciated. Also a reliable way to remove the oil from the driveway would be nice since the landlord's gonna be pissed.

Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
878 Posts
You didn't mention, so I'll assume you have the Northstar engine. Apart from the normal sort of leaks, the Northstar suffers occasionally from "half case" leaks.

It's BIG bucks to repair it properly, but some folk here have reported cleaning the lower half of the engine block and applying RTV sealant around the half case seals with good results.

Of course, before you panic, you need to put it on a lift and have a look-see.

Your local auto parts store can provide you with Speedy-Dry or it's equivalent to remove the oil stains.

Regards,
Warren

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Jack it up and see where the oil's coming from first. If you're lucky maybe the drain plug's loose. It could also be the pan bolts, do a search on those...

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can fix the oil stain on the driveway a couple ways - the easiest I've found is a two part deal - first buy a bag of real cheap kitty litter (you want the highest concentration of clay you can get - and don't give a damm about scents fresh-steps or low-dust) - dump it on the oil stain - let it absorb the oil over night (that's what kitty litter is designed to do - absorb moisture) - then sweep it into a shovel and put it back into the KL bag - hose it down really well then ge some citrus cleanser (engine degreaser works really well, as does Dawn dishwashing detergent) - get a bucket of warm water - dump some soap into it - grab an old scrub-brush and get to work on the stain.

Hopefully your landlord won't be pissed off about a real clean spot on the driveway!

Best of luck with the leak as well -

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
:bonkers: The oil may be coming from a main seal as well .I would put in a quart of LUCAS OIL ADDITIVE.It will soften up old gaskets and help if the gaskets have gone hard and are not sealing any more.

It.s not uncommon for a north* engine to leave a little oil spot and if the oil pan bolts are tight,I wouldn't worry about the drip.
If u jack up the car to have a look be sure to use safety stands.Better to take it to a garage and have it put on a hoist.
The oil spot on the drive can be cleaned as described earlier except when u put down the kitty litter ,,mash it around with your boot to get a better job...then sweep it up.There are commercial cleaners available as well....good luck:cool2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I appreciate the insight...damn i hope it isnt the "half case". And yeah its the 4.6 N*

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If I read this right, it leaked while it sat for a long time. I'd assume that the leak has to be below the oil level in the pan. My guess is the plug or oil level sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
EcSTSatic