Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Eldorado Coupe 4.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
We have a 1993 Eldorado that is having a hard time starting when cold. The starter, battery and fuel pump are working correctly. I have to try and start it 4-5 times before it will turn over. Once it turns over I can turn the car off and on with no problems starting again. If I wait an hour between starts then the problem occurs again. I am thinking this might be a electrical problem with perhaps one of the ignition coils. Is there a way to test the coils? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
What is your fuel pressure at key on after it has been setting long enough to hard start?

·
Registered
93 Eldorado Coupe 4.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how to check that. I got it started and ran to O'Reily and they check the battery. It was bad. Stay away from Duralast Batteries.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Stay away from Duracrap in general. AutoZones house brand is total junk.

Fuel pressure is checked by hooking a fuel pressure gauge to the service port on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
93 Eldorado Coupe 4.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guess what...I was wrong.:tisk:
I purchase another battery and still have the same issue. I took the first battery, now out of the car, and had it tested and it passed. Next I had the "new" battery that is now in the car tested and it failed when testing from the side posts. This new battery also has top posts. When the battery is tested from there it passes. So now I am told the side posts on the car are bad. Which doesn't make a lick of sense to me. So I am back a square one again with the car not starting after sitting for about an hour until I crack it for 5-6 times or hold the crank for about 10 seconds. :rant2:

----------

I need to check this next after it sits. I am wondering if the pump is having a problem with the pressure after sitting. Maybe this makes more sense to others. I would think that if the pressure from the pump is bad the car would never start or continue to run. I am just guessing at this point. Do you know what that pressure reading should be when attempting to start?

·
Registered
93 Eldorado Coupe 4.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just took the intake manifold cover off and the fuel pressure regulator is leaking gas from the top of it. I guessing that is my problem.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
There's your problem.

Fuel pressure is spec'd at 40-50 psi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts