Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1993 Deville
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day driving my car that a whine comes from the transmission when manually selecting 1st and allowing engine braking to happen. I’ve also noticed a whine from about 15mph and under, sounds like power steering but it doesn’t whine even when deadheading the pump against the lock and it’s coming from the drivers side. There is no whine when in any gear range, or park/neutral for that matter. Only 1st and second at low speeds. Trans fluid looks good, in between the circles on the dipstick. Shifts aren’t lazy or flaring and no slippage, although sometimes the 1-2 isn’t as smooth when you’re to the floor, but there isn’t any flares or slip for that matter. It bangs off shifts like it’s brand new. I’m thinking it does have a shift kit in it, since the previous owners little logbook shows a valvebody/solenoid pack replacement. But I can’t seem to find a definite source as to where this whine is coming from. It can’t be the pump or converter, if it was it would whine in gear all the time. And I don’t think it’s a bearing since it quits at higher speeds. I’m thinking it’s just normal operating noise but want to be reassured. It’s not loud by any means, but you can hear it inside the car the most when manually selecting first going down a grade.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,438 Posts
I noticed the other day driving my car that a whine comes from the transmission when manually selecting 1st and allowing engine braking to happen. I’ve also noticed a whine from about 15mph and under, sounds like power steering but it doesn’t whine even when deadheading the pump against the lock and it’s coming from the drivers side. There is no whine when in any gear range, or park/neutral for that matter. Only 1st and second at low speeds. Trans fluid looks good, in between the circles on the dipstick. Shifts aren’t lazy or flaring and no slippage, although sometimes the 1-2 isn’t as smooth when you’re to the floor, but there isn’t any flares or slip for that matter. It bangs off shifts like it’s brand new. I’m thinking it does have a shift kit in it, since the previous owners little logbook shows a valvebody/solenoid pack replacement. But I can’t seem to find a definite source as to where this whine is coming from. It can’t be the pump or converter, if it was it would whine in gear all the time. And I don’t think it’s a bearing since it quits at higher speeds. I’m thinking it’s just normal operating noise but want to be reassured. It’s not loud by any means, but you can hear it inside the car the most when manually selecting first going down a grade.
===========================
there are no "normal" whines/noises from the trans -

you can hear it inside the car the most when manually selecting first going down a grade.
so - STOP downshifting the trans manually - brakes are a LOT cheaper than a new trans -

1 - 3 of 3 Posts