Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been hearing weird noises coming from the engine compartment the last few days after changing the TPS switch. Had been getting codes for that a long time ago that eventually went away but I had one I got from pull-a-part and finally changed it. Seems like it made a difference in the gas mileage as it's now getting 19+mpg during normal driving and more in the highway.
I decided to take it to the dealer about the noises. After about 30 mins the service lady called me up and said I had so many things wrong it's not worth fixing. Here's the list they gave me: water pump pulley coming apart, compressor coming apart, timing cover leaking, multiple oil leaks. Ok, I had the water pump replaced a year ago. Still under warranty so I can get someone to replace that. The compressor has no refrigerant in it. I was having problems with it last summer but finally got it running by having somebody jump a wire or something. Anyway, the servie A/C light comes on. Could it be that it just needs refrigerant in it. I'm not sure that it would be bad unless the clutch is gone. Wouldn't that affect the serpentine belt? Would it turn? The car seems to run fine once you start driving. The weird noises are at idle and smooth out when you start driving but you can notice it. Thanks for your responses in advance. I hope someone can give me some good news. The dealer obviously wasn't encouraging by telling that it would cost $5-$6k to fix. PLEASE.

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac sedan devile
616 Posts
about 1500 if you do it your self. but you will have to order the timing cover from a dealer while you there pick up a water pump inlet. You will thank yourself latter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking less than that to be honest. Water pump I can get done for $100. The compressor and timing cover is what worries me. Does the timing chain have to be replaced or just the cover. I assume that can be done at the same time as the water pump replacement right?

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
If you had the water pump off recently, and all of the studs used to fasten the water pump are in good shape, you won't need a new timing cover. If the threads in the water inlet hold torque, those are also good. You should be able to take it all apart, check for flatness with a straight edge, chase all threads with a tap, and simply replace gaskets.

Timing cover and water inlet would cost $1-200 from the dealer, at least.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would they say the timing cover is leaking then? Actually had a water pump installed a year ago. The dealer said pulley is going bad. The dealer said the pump was leaking. I havne't been able to tell. I do have to keep filling the reservoir tank but have never had to add any antifreeze to the radiator. Never really noticed any antifreeze on the ground or any oil. There is oil underneath the car and various accumulations of oil throughout the engine. I'm going to get somebody to do this but I know $5-$6k is ridiculous. They didn't itemize it. The lady just seemed to throw out a crazy number to discourage me from thinnking about fixing it it seems. I know they would charge an arm and a leg to fix the A/C. It was just frustrating. Now I'm worried that the pulley will fall off while I'm driving. I'm trying to quickly get someone to fix it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of questions. What would leak from the timing cover? Oil? As far as the water pump goes, I'm not losing antifreeze except from the reservoir tank. I have to keep filling it up every so often. Why would I need to get the water inlet hose from the dealer? I called them and they said that part is discontinued. Timing cover is $135. Is that big a difference from one you would get at Oreilly's?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Its called the water pump inlet pipe . I just said to pick one up because the bolt holes like to strip out on them from time to time as far as the timing cover good luck finding one for a 4.x at oreilly's . Just don't be surprised if you have to wait like 5-6 weeks to get your parts from a dealer. But if you have to add antifreeze to your over flow tank your losing it some where. As far as finding where its leaking ,best bet after driving the car for a little bit or just running ti for a little bit take and put a big piece of card board or plastic under your car and then turn it off and let it sit then go from there. as far as the A/C get the compressor fixed and then take it to have someone flush the system with nitrogen and then pull a vac and refill it, right around 200-300 would be my best guess. Never had to pay for ac service since my dad dose it for a living and i get mine done for free.

·
Registered
616 Posts
On a side note when doing the timing cover be sure you loosen the subframe mounting bolts on that side if not you will never get the crank pulley off. Found out myself the hard way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. My biggest question right now is will it be ok to drive until I get the compressor fixed. It's what's making the rattling noise that made me take it in. Had a neighborhood guy come buy and he told me the clutch was gone and showed me how it wasn't spinning. The compressor is turning though. Is there any danger of it locking up. It'll be a day or two before I can get somebody to do it. I think the antifreeze is just leaking out of the reservoir tank...I'm going to replace it. As far as the timing cover, the dealer has them in stock for $135. I'm going to clean of the oil and check all of the hoses before I get somebody to do that. Car has 211 on it and I bought it used. Previous owner didn't take good care of it and it sat for awhile. I can see that the transmission lines are leaking a little. I'll be some of the oil lines are too. That's probably where the oill sludge on the engine is coming from. I don't believe the dealer did more than eyeball the car and take my $100 and tell it's going to cost a lot.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
The timing cover GASKET usually leaks some oil in it's old age, which is really not a huge concern. The timing cover itself is not a maintenance item. If the pressed-in studs are good and it is not warped beyond repair by a heavyweight mechanic torquing it down with a 3/4" breaker bar, it doesn't need replacement.

More commonly, oil leaks at the bottom of the timing cover at the oil pan gasket.

Water does pass through the timing cover, as it's sandwiched between the water pump and the block. If it leaks, there are only two possible ways: it will either leak externally and look like a water pump leak or it will leak internally, water ending up in the oil pan. This is all very unlikely: I have never seen nor heard of the timing cover gasket leaking water. But, if you are losing water and the oil level on your dipstick is magically rising (with the oil looking like a melted Milky Way candy bar), it's possible.

The AC compressor WILL sieze up at some point if it's making bearing noise. When? Who knows. I wouldn't drive it too far without getting it fixed, however.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your responses. I'm really starting to believe the dealer eyeballed it and told me I needed a bunch of stuff. When I get the guy to replace the compressor I'll have him tell me if the timing cover is ok. I'm not losing much oil if any between oil changes. I usually have to put about a quart in it sometimes. Oil looks normal and light brown. I don't let it get too dark before I change it myself. The compressor bearings are making noise. I have been driving with it like this for about 2 weeks before I was able to find out what it was. I'm trying to get it done asap. Was going to have someone get a compressor from pull-a-part but I might have to grit my teeth and get a new one from oreilly's for $200

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
If you have a full freon charge and don't want to loose it and the bearing noise is only present when the compressor is not running, Then you can just change the compressor clutch bearing. This can be done without loosing the freon charge. I do however not know how hard it would be with the compressor mounted low on the car like the 93 Deville is. I have done this on several of my cars in the past. However each of my compressors where mounted on top of the engine where access was a lot easer. On three of them, I did not even remove the compressor from there bracket. The bearing replacement is simple if you have access. Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you are worried about the compressor locking up on you and breaking a belt. you can just run a shorter belt thats what i did when my compressor went out and started burning up belts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. Thanks guys but I got the compressor changed out and refrigerant put back in. Got a weekend mechanic to do it for $130 plus $350 for a new compressor, dryer, orifice tube, and refrigerant. Not bad I don't think. He did look at the other stuff the dealer mentioned while he was under there. He said it appears I might have a cracked engine block. What else can there be? DAMMIT. What do you think? He told me just to keep my eye on the fluids and I should be fine for awhile. He was even impressed by how well the car runs with 211k miles on it. I'm going to change the transmission lines and oil cooler hoses and see if the leaks don't disappear. I know the transmission lines are leaking. All of them are original. I have seen some in good shape at Pull-a-part. What do you guys think about the engine block? I bought this car used two years ago. I knew it would require some work. I even googled used cadillac engines and found some places that sell used 4.9 engines at very good prices. I might go that route in a couple of months.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will get under there and do it. It's been cold and wet for the past week here in Nashville.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts