Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My Touring Sedan will not move in the morning or after a cold start. Takes a few minutes of warming the transmission fluid before the car will move. On the highway in overdrive, if I try to accelerate quickly I get a chattering as if I'm driving on the "rumble strips" along the side of the road. The AT fluid is turning brown and smells quite toasty. Is it possible that this is just the torque converter or should I replace the entire transaxle (gulp) with a remanufactured one:

Cadillac dealer wants $2403 for the 4T60E 3yr/50,000 mile warranty

Jasper quotes $1988 for 3 yr/75,000 miles

Cherry Autos (www.cherry-auto.com) quotes $1695-1895 3 yr/75,000

USA Transmission (close by) offers "rebuilt" for $1350 + $350 installation

Whaddya all think?

THanks,
jarrall

·
Registered
122 Posts
How many miles do you have? I bought mine with a blown tranny at 140,000 miles. Got it rebuilt at a local tranny shop for $2000. Drives great now.

I hear that you'll go through 2 trannies per engine in these cars. So Im guessing its your tranny. All the work that it takes to get the torque converter out you might as well have the tranny done anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
130,000 miles and no transmission problems until now. I have access to an auto shop here at work and just recently helped a friend R&R a 4L60E in a 'vette. But that seems a lot simpler than the transverse version of the transmission. Anyone removed the transaxle from one of these cars? Either going to be $2K to pay someone to do it or $2K of my time over a couple-3 weekends.

jarrall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts