Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I need some help trying to figure this one out. If left for more than a few days, my Deville will drain the battery completely. Now I thought it might be the self-levelling suspension. The compressor comes on when the car is parked to pump up the air suspension units in the rear. Changed those out recently but the electrical drain persists. Any ideas where to start looking? No blown fuses but the automatic headlights (twighlight sentinel) stopped working more than a year ago. The "traction off" light has been coming on (once I get going) for more than a year. Other than that I love this car and the 4.9 is a low-rev, torque monster so I don't really want to part with it.

Thanks,
jarrall

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Have you already checked the battery terminals for corrosion and tightness? You might want to go get a load test on your battery. Most parts stores will do this free of charge. If it has been drained completely and has some age to it, the time may be ripe for a new battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have better explained. This is the second new battery since this condition started. So battery is new only been deeply discharged once. Will trickle charge this evening. Anyone have a good lead on an aftermarket battery disconnect switch that's made for the side terminal batteries? Once charged, I figure I can use an inductive current probe on my DVM and try to follow the current. Any ideas are appreciated....

jarrall

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Not sure an inductive will be sensitive enough to really follow it well. Might I suggest getting the battery cutoff you mentioned, and wiring your meter up in parallell with it. Then after the car has been undisturbed for about 30 minutes, open the cutoff. (allows the modules to enter powersave mode. Not as critical on your car as on later models, so you might get around needing it) start yanking fuses until current draw drops around 50 mA.

A problem another member found while trying this is current draw stayed normal for a bit, then he heard a small "click" and the draw jumped and stayed there... It was the load leveling systems exhaust circut trying to lower the car, but for whatever reaso the car didnt lower, and the circut stayed active.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, David. I figured I'd have a tough time with an inductive probe so I like your idea of wiring the DVM in parallel, waiting, and then opening the cut-off. What should be the "quiescent" current draw? A few tens of mA should do it, shouldn't it? I guess I'm asking if anyone knows of any particular suspects that could be responsible for this drain.

jarrall

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Are all your accessories working fine...dome lights, glove compartment light, trunk light, underhood light, lighters?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my left hand turn "illuminator" went out several years ago and had to be fixed to pass inspection. This resulted in my underhood lamp not working (no voltage at the socket). I guess there could be a short there draining the battery slowly since it's not switched off the ignition. Hmmmm, that's good, I'll have to check that one out. Also, my automatic headlights (twighlight sentinel) stopped work correctly a while ago. Will come on when it's dark but turn off within a minute or so. Anyone got any ideas on that?

Thanks,
JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts