Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to be replacing front and rear suspension, rock auto has to price options for the same shock..wholesaler closeout(30 day warranty) and regular inventory...the wholesaler price is about half the price of regular inventory

so the question i have is, what is the big difference in the two, are the wholesaler closeout shocks just old or what?? :confused:

and on the fronts it says, front:commercial chasis
front:Except Electronic Adjustable Suspension
my SSS light is on so which one would i need? thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Different parts sourcing.

About 7 years ago I bought 2 ignition cassettes, with ICMs, for the STS on one of those RA "manufacturer closeouts". Each cassette is OEM DELPHI, brand new - half priced.

Like any other "good deal" - you take your chances.

Unless you have the Limo optioned car you do not have the "commercial chassis". That may be the kicker. Someone with 1993 model experience will need to chime in.

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different parts sourcing.

About 7 years ago I bought 2 ignition cassettes, with ICMs, for the STS on one of those RA "manufacturer closeouts". Each cassette is OEM DELPHI, brand new - half priced.

Like any other "good deal" - you take your chances.

Unless you have the Limo optioned car you do not have the "commercial chassis". That may be the kicker. Someone with 1993 model experience will need to chime in.
was it a good deal on your end? as in did they hold up like the regular inventory?

im looking at part#G56909 for the fronts and Part Number: G56906 for rear...is this what i need?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Good deal, hell yes. "Hold up ..." ? I don't know. The original DELPHI cassettes and ICMs are still in the car, clean and perfect. The DELPHI spares are still boxed on the shop shelf, and I have no reason to doubt they will work if needed.

That said, I have bought a staggering amount of stuff from RockAuto - some for my car and trucks, lots for other people. Never had a bad experience yet. (That's my experience with them - not someone else s.)

As an aside, I work part-time as a counterman at the local Western Auto, so if I buy parts online also, given my discount advantage - what does that say for RockAuto ?

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ICM=ignition control module correct?..what does the ICM have to do with the shocks?...and im not sure what you mean by "cassettes" unless thats just another word for shocks :confused:

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to scoop up any wholesale closeout deals at rockauto; especially with struts that are pretty much the same everywhere.

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't hesitate to scoop up any wholesale closeout deals at rockauto; especially with struts that are pretty much the same everywhere.
when i chose the wholesale part, it says "Part is designed for CA Market vehicles"...is this nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good deal, hell yes. "Hold up ..." ? I don't know. The original DELPHI cassettes and ICMs are still in the car, clean and perfect. The DELPHI spares are still boxed on the shop shelf, and I have no reason to doubt they will work if needed.

That said, I have bought a staggering amount of stuff from RockAuto - some for my car and trucks, lots for other people. Never had a bad experience yet. (That's my experience with them - not someone else s.)

As an aside, I work part-time as a counterman at the local Western Auto, so if I buy parts online also, given my discount advantage - what does that say for RockAuto ?
read that wrong, you were talking ignition and threw me off lol

---------------------------------------------

all i can find for the fronts are "Without Automatic Rear Air Leveling System and Without Electronic Suspension" so does that mean nobody makes them anymore and my only option to get the SSS light off is to pull the bulb?

what are anyones opinions on these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-2-NEW-QUICK-INSTALL-COMPLETE-STRUT-ASSEMBLY-FRONT-PAIR-FOR-LEFT-AND-RIGHT-/351172240166?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1993|Make:Cadillac|Model:DeVille&hash=item51c37f2326&vxp=mtr and their actual site http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/p-48766-set-of-2-new-quick-install-complete-strut-assembly-front-pair-for-left-and-right.aspx pretty good deal if they are any good considering its a set for less than just one on rockauto....

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
read that wrong, you were talking ignition and threw me off lol

---------------------------------------------

all i can find for the fronts are "Without Automatic Rear Air Leveling System and Without Electronic Suspension" so does that mean nobody makes them anymore and my only option to get the SSS light off is to pull the bulb?

what are anyones opinions on these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-2-NEW-QUICK-INSTALL-COMPLETE-STRUT-ASSEMBLY-FRONT-PAIR-FOR-LEFT-AND-RIGHT-/351172240166?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1993|Make:Cadillac|Model:DeVille&hash=item51c37f2326&vxp=mtr and their actual site http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/p-48766-set-of-2-new-quick-install-complete-strut-assembly-front-pair-for-left-and-right.aspx pretty good deal if they are any good considering its a set for less than just one on rockauto....
===============================
if you are keeping the car for any length of time -
I would HIGHLY recommend going with Monroe struts ans shocks -

MUCH higher quality - and better ride than gabriel units -

if you are getting rid of the car soon -
any cheap unit will be better than worn out parts -

===========================

I just found a KILLER deal for you -

Monroe 71822 sensa-trac - $28 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251812537227?rmvSB=true

and the matching rear with level control -
Monroe 71798 sensa-trac - $47.68 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONROE-71798-Suspension-Strut-Assembly-Sensa-Trac-Strut-Rear-FREE-SHIPPING-/291186612867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cc131a83&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
===============================
if you are keeping the car for any length of time -
I would HIGHLY recommend going with Monroe struts ans shocks -

MUCH higher quality - and better ride than gabriel units -

if you are getting rid of the car soon -
any cheap unit will be better than worn out parts -

===========================

I just found a KILLER deal for you -

Monroe 71822 sensa-trac - $28 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251812537227?rmvSB=true

and the matching rear with level control -
Monroe 71798 sensa-trac - $47.68 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONROE-71798-Suspension-Strut-Assembly-Sensa-Trac-Strut-Rear-FREE-SHIPPING-/291186612867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cc131a83&vxp=mtr
nice! that is a good deal for the fronts but im sure this is the first time this car has seen any suspension work so im going to get the assembly with new spring and upper mount

for the rears i grabbed GABRIEL Part # G56906 at wholesale price of only $23 each compared to $68 reg. inventory on rockauto

anyways..theres mixed reviews on the strutTEK for the front, mostly good, only found one guy that said they went out in 6 months, i think im going to give them a shot(fingers crossed)
so, on to this SSS light...is the only way to get it off anymore is to just take the bulb out?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Why bother with no name junk??? The link basscatt posted has the Monroes for less than $30 each.

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why bother with no name junk??? The link basscatt posted has the Monroes for less than $30 each.
its not the fully assembled strut...if the strutTEKs go bad in a few months oh well, ill just spend the extra $$ for monroes

-------------

still wondering about the SSS light..if i could find struts i could plug the SSS back into and get that dang light off i might just get those but i havent found any...i havent bought the fronts yet im still on the fence and wanting to here more from everyone

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so are both rear shocks independent from each other? as in can one shock hold air whilst the other side is got a big leak....when i look behind my car the rear driver side is way lower, like theres air in one side and none in the other...or is it the springs...

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:confused: doing this job tomorrow would love it if someone could chime in on some of the unanswered questions...

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
A leak anywhere on the system means neither shock will hold air.

If one side is lower than the other, the problem is a spring or some other worn/damaged component. A seized shock is possible but not likely.

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A leak anywhere on the system means neither shock will hold air.

If one side is lower than the other, the problem is a spring or some other worn/damaged component. A seized shock is possible but not likely.
guess shes getting new springs tomorrow, good thing i called earlier so the springs will be at my local advanced in the morning..thanx moist...what about the SSS light.....ohhh, and when it says to exercise the bladders on the rear what exactly does that mean...

----------

i cant believe how low the 1 side is..that spring must be broke or just defective because it feels like its sitting on the bump stop and the other side looks about level:helpless:

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
All I'll say about those rears is make sure you put new strut mounts on which everything else. Not sure about the leak situation but if you replace both you should be good to go regardless. How many miles on the car? When I threw out my left rear strut mount I thought my car ride lower but I measured it and there wasn't any difference. It was just a perceived difference

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
The SSS light, I just pulled the bulb on mine. It's a bit of a pain because you have to take some of the dash apart to get to it if I remember. Been awhile since I got in there. If you were able to get the exact factory shocks your 93 Deville came with, it would be well over $2,000.00 for a full set, maybe more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts