Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever have this problem? My deville started to stall out during this past weeks heatwave. also chugged a bit. I did the codes and the cam sensor signal problem came up. As well as a f46,f47. I figured I would change the cam sensor but it seems to be a hard one to come by. I cleared out the codes and they didn't come back. The car seems to ride better as well. Does that make sense??? I'm new to this so go easy on me. Thanks.:thepan:

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Clearing the codes will not make your car run better, but you may be having an intermittent problem with the sensor(s). Keep watching the codes and keep track of which ones come up because a pattern usualy leads to a problem.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Start with the easy stuff. Rod out the EGR tubes in the TB.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Take of the air filter ducting and look down the TB (Throttle Body). There will be two tubes staring back at you. They are the EGR tubes and if they are carboned up and choked off, they need to be rodded out to restore EGR flow.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
F46,F47 probably means your a/c isnt working at all, or atleast not very well. I bleieve they are low refrigerant codes.

I would clean the egr tubes then let us know the status of the ignition system if its stalling out, Dont know anything about cam sensors, but if your plugs/wires are really old they may cause some stalls, most likely egr related though I would think.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need a little more help. Justgot back from advanced and they didn't have the cam sensor for the 93 Deville. They did have it for the 94 though. The numbers match up perfectly. Needless to say, I bought it. I'll be putting it in tomorrow. Think it will be o.k? I sure hope so.:confused:

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
If its for the base 94 youll be fine, If it was a Concoruse then then it wont work since it has a Northstar and not a 4.9.

But since you said the parts numbers matched up then you should be fine since the 93 and 94 have the same 4.9 engine

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks. I opened the distributor and there was no cam sensor in there. ignition control module tested fine. just took off the hall effect sensor. i guess i'll get a new one. everyone says the cam sensor and hall switch are the same. how come they don't look alike?the 2 places a cam sensor can be are in the distributor and on the side by the belt. It is nowhere to be found. This just doesn't make any sense!!! I'm going nuts with this. How can the chilton book tell me the sensor is inthe distributor and it's not there. I need a break. The heat is driving me crazy. Anyone want to help me out or kill me, feel free.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I had a similar problem in my 93 Deville where my 1993 Deville would just die.

The problem would manifest itself only when the engine was HOT. One time, it died as I pulled out of my driveway.

I pulled the trouble code and it said that it lost communication with the distributor. I started to diagnose the distributor with the help of the computer, but after about an hour of doing that, I just went to the local junkyard, grabbed an entire distributor assembly including the cap and coil for $75. 1/2 hour later, I was back on the road. This beat replacing the parts in the distributor one by one. Lots cheaper, too.

Most of the stuff I touched inside the distributor came apart in my hands. That's about when I made the decision to get a junkyard replacement for $75, which included *everything*.

Maybe these threads will help you:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76663&highlight=distributor
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59324
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72216&highlight=distributor
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76992&highlight=distributor

In summary, I replaced the entire distributor. Diving into the distributor, taking it apart, replacing the individual components, etc is fraught with difficulties because of the age of our cars - stuff falls apart when you touch them. Might as well save yourself hours and hours of frustration and just replace the whole dang thing. You're done in 20 minutes for 1/5th the cost.

However, I don't know if the distributor is your problem. You didn't mention getting an E52 code.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the ideas. i get the code e41. cam sensor signal. which from what i am told is the hall effect switch. junk yard here i come. dealership wants 176.00.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
When you go to the junk yard, make sure you tell them that you want the external harnesses intact. At least one of them hangs off the distributor by wires. Otherwise, you'll have to splice wires and wind up with a ghetto installation.

Make sure you clean off the area underneath the distributor BEFORE you pull the shaft out of the block. As old as our cars are, there is a bunch of oily gunk and dirt lodged in there. If you don't, the dirt will fall inside the engine.

Also, be absolutely sure the thrust washer comes out with the distributor. It simply sits at the bottom tip of the distributor shaft. It might stick at the bottom of the shaft well inside the engine. If the replacement distributor didn't come with one, use the old one. Make sure you have it and you know where it is so that 1) you don't have two of them in there, and 2) you're sure it's installed when everything is back together.

The junkyards here give me warranties on all parts. If it don't work, just bring it back for a full refund. See if your local junkyards will do the same.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 91 Seville We were thinking of switching out a junkyard Distributor that doesnt look like it took too much heat. Glad to hear yours worked

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
We couldnt find a used 4.9 dist in this small town so we did more investigating and narrowed it down to the hall effect. $45 at AutoZone fixed it. (would get warm and miss) Part was more at other places.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts