Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for the easiset/best place to get into the power steering system to flush it

gaining access from under the hood doesn't look easy and the connector type is unknown
in the diagram below, around number 40 seems to be the easiest to access, after the cooler and leading up to the resevoir, but i'm not sure if that will cause the entire resevoir to empty and run dry

also does this model have a power steering filter? some part catalogs list one, but i haven't found it. the item around 26 looks kinda like one

cadPowerSteer.gif

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Just disconnect the return line at the pump, plug the nipple & cycle new fluid in while the return is dumped.
or
Suck it out with a turkey baster & add new repeating about a half dozen times. The system only holds aprox 1 1/2 qt., cycle the rack during the process.

The filter is a screen type & will need special clamps as you will see.
Don't use normal worm/screw clamp.
I would just let the filter be for now and make sure new fluid is flush through the system.
You can just back flow a screen filter w/ brake cleaner and clean it pretty well. It's 100% stainless steel OEM.

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also looking at this ebay auction, which has a clear picture of the power steering line assembly, it looks like that device is some sort of filter

the hose clamps around the cooler look to be the easiet to work with and getting a buck under them with little mess sounds good, although i'm thinking i might want to plug the line leading up so the resevoir doesn't run dry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-POWER-STEERING-HOSE-OEM-NIB-/260782405516

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just disconnect the return line at the pump, plug the nipple & cycle new fluid in while the return is dumped.
or
Suck it out with a turkey baster & add new repeating about a half dozen times. The system only holds aprox 1 1/2 qt., cycle the rack during the process.

The filter is a screen type & will need special clamps as you will see.
I would just let the filter be for now and make sure new fluid is flush through the system.
thx for the reply

i don't see an easy way to disconnect at the pump, and easy way to acces it
and then after that, the metal tube doesn't give much so the fluid is just going to pump and run down through the engine bay

do you have specifics on the type of connector (it is a metal line to some sort of plastic bracket) and how to disconnect/reconnect it easily? do i disconnect the metal tube from the plastic bracket connector, or do i disconnect the plastic bracket from the housing? does the bracket just pull off?

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
It's a mess to deal with anyway you look at it up at the pump. There is an adapter on underneath side of the pump that you have to remove the outlet (return) hose from the pump adapter and plug the port on the adapter. Then you have to arrange the outlet hose to a container. I wouldn't take anything apart up there unless you are doing valve cover gaskets. I'd go for the line down by the cooler, which is the line you want to take off up at the pump, as you suggested earlier or suck most out of the reservoir. There again, those hoses might have crimped ends where they connect to the cooler, so you could also disconnect them on the rack near the control valve and filter. The filter is #24 in your picture. You can not take it apart. When you get the car up on jack stands, you can see it just above the stabilizer bar very close to the control valve and manifold on your rack and pinion. I can scan the images from FSM tomorrow if you want, let me know.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Get a turkey baster.
The filter has clamps that are the same type you would find on a CV boot requiring a special crimp tool.

A properly sized solid band clamp with a positive nut/bolt cinch would be a satisfatory replacement.
A worm screw conventional hose clamp will not tighten up enough without breaking.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
If it is anything like my car the filter is in front of the frt. rt. wheel mounted to the frame & most the fluid would drain from this point.

I would not bother buying a filter, just back flush the screen. Again, its all stainless steel w/screen filter -no fabric/paper element.

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh, looks like my filter was replaced or the factory ran out of typical parts that day. my filter clearly has a nut like compression. going to leave it alone for now. with all the rust i'll likely not be able to get it back together easily
PSfilter.jpg

i decided to go at the PS cooler exit, there are two clamps there easy to get at and i can place a pan underneath to contain the mess and plug the line easily. clamps are cheap compared to breaking something else. i can also tell if i don't get things back tight as a leak will be obvious [i highlighed the clamps in blue as they were too dark for the camera to pick up against hte black hose]
PScoolerclamp.jpg
yes the cooler ain't doing much at this stage of its life, touching any part of it causing it to flake apart

off topic for this thread, but it seems i have a potential issue. this pic is of the oil pan. the oil plug is above where the text is. i don't know what this line is or does, but i'm guessing this hose patched clamped on is not factory. i don't know if the line broke or cracked there and this is a fix, or if something else was attached and just removed. any help is appreciated.
whatthe.jpg

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
heh, looks like my filter was replaced or the factory ran out of typical parts that day. my filter clearly has a nut like compression. going to leave it alone for now. with all the rust i'll likely not be able to get it back together easily
View attachment 78627

i decided to go at the PS cooler exit, there are two clamps there easy to get at and i can place a pan underneath to contain the mess and plug the line easily. clamps are cheap compared to breaking something else. i can also tell if i don't get things back tight as a leak will be obvious [i highlighed the clamps in blue as they were too dark for the camera to pick up against hte black hose]
View attachment 78628
yes the cooler ain't doing much at this stage of its life, touching any part of it causing it to flake apart

off topic for this thread, but it seems i have a potential issue. this pic is of the oil pan. the oil plug is above where the text is. i don't know what this line is or does, but i'm guessing this hose patched clamped on is not factory. i don't know if the line broke or cracked there and this is a fix, or if something else was attached and just removed. any help is appreciated.
View attachment 78629
That last picture is one of your heater hose tubes. It's factory, not a patch. Soak up those threads for a few days with some penetrating oil on that filter, a couple of tubing wrenches work fine here. You must have a lot of salt where you live.

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That last picture is one of your heater hose tubes. It's factory, not a patch. Soak up those threads for a few days with some penetrating oil on that filter, a couple of tubing wrenches work fine here. You must have a lot of salt where you live.
if i wanted to see a diagram including that hose, or a detailed description of what it routes to and where, what would i search under, say like on 'compnine'?

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so to cap off, right where number 40 is in the diagram is where i tapped in. it is located under the car right next to the front right passenger tire. easy to access and easy to replace the worm type clamp.

as soon as you remove the line, the fluid drains down from the resevoir so you have to be careful not to point the tube towards yourself. leaving the cap on the resevoir slows down the flow. i then plugged the line going up to the resevoir with an ear plug.

add fluid while turning the wheels, with a drain pan under the cooler.
i decided to leave the filter alone.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Your filter looks factory from the picture above. I'm going to have to do that someday, flush and change filter.

·
Registered
1993 Deville Sedan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your filter looks factory from the picture above. I'm going to have to do that someday, flush and change filter.
real easy, just need that extra person for a couple minutes to start and shut the car off while you pour new fluid as the pump sucks it down fast. PS fluid is fairly affordable. need about a quart and a half to flush; one quart of fluid and a bottle of additive is what i used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here: 1993 Deville my power steering fluid filter is the Metal one pictured by the discussion starter above. The filter is leaking so got a replacement but no OEM available. The aftermarket ones are meant to connect to a 3/8" hose with clamps. Question should I remove the old one and add 3/8" hoses to each side and connect it to the medal lines and use the existing flairs to clamp the hose on?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts