Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac CTS-V 6.2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Caddy needed a oil change so I took it to a quick lube to change the oil. Everything is good but the oil change light will not go off. What do I do to get this off the last place turn it off but this time it want go off.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
59 Posts
I believe all you have to do it turn the key like your going to start the car so the radio turns on and such but don't start it. Then quickly step on the gas pedal 5 times to get it to go away.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Mine will not go off either. I think you have to press the gas 3 or more times quickly with the ignition on (car off) within so many seconds to get it to turn off, but I think its a common problem with a sensor or something going back and the light not going off. Also, my low oil level light stays on, despite the oil being full. Also a faulty sensor. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
It's been a long time since I had my '92 so I could be wrong, but If I remember correctly, select oil life remaining on the fuel data center, then press and hold the reset button until changes to 100% or XXX. If all else fails, check the owners manual. It will tell you how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
There are two ways to do it on a 93. First, there is a yellow button on the fuse panel (the one in the driver's door). With the ignition on, car off, press and hold the button. Light will go out. Or, ignition on, car off, press gas pedal to floor slowly three times.

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
Not positive, but I think the gas pedal method might work on all GM cars.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks! I will try that too Jay! I was depressing my pedal fast. I will try it slow and if that fails, I will use that button. :) Ranger- I don't think that the '93 has that feature. My '93 does not have a "fuel data center". I have a speedometer, fuel gauge, trip odometer, odometer, two buttons one to change English/metric and a button to reset trip computer... oh and about 35 idiot lights on each side of that. :)

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
:noidea: Like I said, it's been a long time. There is an info button or such there somewhere that displays the oil life remaining.

·
Registered
530 Posts
:noidea: Like I said, it's been a long time. There is an info button or such there somewhere that displays the oil life remaining.
Yeah, I think I have seen that before on the 1992 models, but for some reason I think they took that away for the '93 redesign which seems strange... they were supposed to got better weren't they? LOL. There may be a way to get it to display on the '93 though, because I thought someone once mentioned that you can even get the '93 to show the engine temperature, but I have yet to figure it out. lol.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I know this method works on most GM cars to turn off the "change oil" light. It worked on my 1995 Fleetwood with the LT1 v8, and my 1998 and 1999 Z28 Camaros with the LS1 v8, one was an automatic, the other a six speed manual.

Turn the key to "ON", but do not start the engine. Immediatly after turning the engine on, pump the gas pedal to the floor 3 times, quickly. This last part I cannot remember, you either start the car, or turn it off. So try it both ways, and I am sure you will get that stupid "change oil" light to dissapear. I always change the oil religiously at 4,000 miles in all my cars, so that oil change light usually comes on later after I've already changed the oil.

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
Turn the key to "ON", but do not start the engine. Immediatly after turning the engine on, pump the gas pedal to the floor 3 times, quickly. This last part I cannot remember, you either start the car, or turn it off.
Should work either way as long as you wait til you get the response that shows it reset.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,213 Posts
Ranger, when you refer to your 92, was it a Fleetwood? Fleetwoods are not like Sevlles, Devilles, and Eldorados.

----------

Aron9000, I also keep oil changes intervals around 4000 miles, but will not loose sleep if it is say 4300. :) My records show that my driving pattern will turn the light on after 4000-4400 miles.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Ranger, when you refer to your 92, was it a Fleetwood? Fleetwoods are not like Sevlles, Devilles, and Eldorados.

----------

Aron9000, I also keep oil changes intervals around 4000 miles, but will not loose sleep if it is say 4300. :) My records show that my driving pattern will turn the light on after 4000-4400 miles.
A 92 Fleetwood is still FWD like Deville and is just as Ranger said. You can reset it thru the dash. 1993 Fleetwood is different. From what I remember you do the gas pedal thing to reset it.

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
My '92 was a Deville. I didn't think that there was that much difference between the two (instrument panel wise).

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
My '92 was a Deville. I didn't think that there was that much difference between the two (instrument panel wise).
There usually is no difference between Devilles and Fleetwoods except in this case the 93 is a whole other car.

I found this pic online.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There was still a FWD Fleetwood in '93, final year. It confuses people.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There was still a FWD Fleetwood in '93, final year. It confuses people.
It wasn't called Fleetwood tho it was just 60 Special. It's the same messed up naming as in the 80s when the RWD cars were changed to just Brougham and Fleetwood was a whole different car.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Right, up until '93, it had been the "Fleetwood Sixty Special", which makes it all the more confusing. And yes, the RWD name change to Brougham is a whole other mess.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
Right, up until '93, it had been the "Fleetwood Sixty Special", which makes it all the more confusing. And yes, the RWD name change to Brougham is a whole other mess.
Yup...and from 85 to 86, you could get a fleetwood, which was a small fwd car, a fleetwood series 75 (factory fwd limo) or a fleetwood brougham, which was a large rwd car. To aid in confusions, fleetwood broughams carried fleetwood scripts on the trunk and had fleetwood embroidered into the door panels, while brougham was on the glovebox (in tiny script) and on the quarters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts