Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
How can I raise the ride hight in the back of my '93 Fleetwood Brougham? I heard there is some way to adjust it I am just not sure how.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Adjust the ride height sensor under the rear of the car by loosening the 10mm bolt and rotating the arm up or down. The sensor is located on the underside of the body approx. over the rear differential in the center.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Before anyone gets carried away with raising and lowering their cars via the height sensor, you MUST be aware of how the system works, and what it's limitations are.

The primary role of the rear air shocks on Cadillacs with them is to help level the vehicle when extra load is applied to the rear of the vehicle. The original reason for this was to maintain the proper "nose angle" on the differential, which in turn will minimize vibration and wear at the rear "U" joints. It also has the added benefit of maintaining ride quality and a "level" appearance.
The air shocks are NOT designed to hold the rear of the car up by themselves, or even a "lion's share" of the load. They are only designed to "augment" the coil springs for a short period.
If you wish to lower the car, you can lower the air-ride system ride height to the point where you are TOTALLY on the springs. If you want it lower than that, you will need to replace the springs.
On the other hand, if you want to RAISE the car, you should NOT use the air-ride. If the car appears to "sag" in the rear when empty, the springs are bad and should be replaced. Using the air-ride to make-up for weak springs can seriously hurt the vehicle handling characteristics, damage the "structural" support areas that the shocks mount to, and DEFINATELY shorten the life expectancy of the air-ride system componentry.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Good post.

How much do you think you can lower it before putting stress on the system???

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Go back and READ the post again dude. Lowering doesn't create a problem. It's just limited to the ride height provided by the springs. RAISING the car creates a problem because you're asking the shocks (and their mounts) to hold more weight than they were designed to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
LMAO. WOW... Is this pick on Kevin day? Can I play too :D? J/K. Personaly, I wouldn't mess with the leveling system. It's not worth the hassel or the expence after it destroys itself from being over worked. You want cussy adjustable suspension? GET BAGS! Cause what's gona happen... You're gona drop the rear a bit and go, "cool! That works". Then after a week of riding around with a car with a sagy ass the next step is, "how do I lower the front". Break out the_______ (insert tool of choice here). Then the springs get hacked away and it rides like crap. Then it's, "DAMN! Now I gota fix this crap!" That's what happenes to me anyway :D . Although I have that all or nothing mentality.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
DeVillish said:
that makes sence, so how do i lower it?:D
Just raise the level-ride sensor adjustment arm. This will allow the car to ride slightly lower without the air shocks being pumped up. However, remember that the car will only go as low as the coil springs wil allow. To go lower than that, you'll have to replace the springs.

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
You can see the arm in this pic with (to the left of the exhaust pipe) the white pastic end on it...

Sorry for the low quality, but it's what I had... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Yes it's real easy. The sensor is a black box located directly over the center of the differential. It's mounted to the body and connects to the upper control arm via a small rod. You adjust the sensor by loosening the 10mm bolt and rotating the arm. See the picture I'm attaching.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
DeVillish said:
is it the same on FWD cars? i know iam full of questions, but you gota find out some how.

Yes! Look under the car......You'll see it!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
ok, i found it, and i put the plastic arm all the way up, and it started to fill with air, so i put it down, and it went PISHHH for like 3 seconds then nothing. iam gona go check on it later after i eat and see.

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
auto level

ok, most of you are talking about lowering or raising the car, I just need to make the system work because my ass is dragging. I have an 86 deville with all the similar parts talked about here. My problem is that the compressor wont turn on anymore. It works, but nothing tells it to turn on, i dont get my green "car is leveling" light anymore either. I am also tearing apart an 85 for parts, so i have everything needed if something needs to be replaced. My compressor works, i put in the spare sensor in the rear, and if i hook up 12v straight to the compressor the car begins to rise. But what tells the car when to level?? is it the car computer? I have extra one of everything, i just need to know what to replace. The old car is completely gutted, but i still cant trace the wires too well. Anyone have a book that shows this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
devillish how did it come out? cause i think im gonna do that... BTW if i get shorter springs for the front and back... will that be too much stress on the bags? or will it level out(lower) on its own to adjust for the new springs essentially .. lowering it down to the spring pressure.. ? or would i have to adjust for the the shorter springs?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts