Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about buying a 93-96 Fleetwood for my next used car.
I like to have a good ol RWD car around.

Which is the best year? Common sense would tell me the LT1 type engine would be the one to buy, knocking out the 93.
Also, common sense would say the final year is the "best" one. Necessarily so?

I understand there were 3 axle ratios available, for the base model, Brougham and towing package. Is any one of the three to be avoided?

Any major differences, or differences worth considering between the 94-96?

I have a 93 Sedan De Ville and 96 Seville already.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey Paul,
Like you said the '93 is out since it lacks the LT1. The '94 still had the small outside mirrors which sucked and often caused the outer door panel to stress crack. The '96 was OBDII and therefore is a lot harder to do performance mods to. The '96 is also a victim of "end of the model run-itis". The final month or two of production saw some SERIOUSLY lousey quality control.
I have a fairly extensive background with this particular car and for that reason, when I went looking to buy one for myself, I limited my search to the '95. Overall, I had the best luck with '95 D-bodies.
As for the rears, the base model ends up with the tall gearing if you didn't special order it or get the trailer-towing package. Other than the ratio, the rears are the same and there's really no difference in reliability.
I forgot one thing. The best deal in Fleetwoods is the Brougham. You get a lot of stuff on them that you couldn't even order on the base model and the resale will be substantially better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin, thanks a lot. I'll look for a 95, or possibly a earlier 96. I figure (you tell me) the production run ended in the Spring, so possibly a 96 actually made in 95 might be OK too?

Thanks,

Paul

Off to Pigeon Forge next week for the Ford Truck Supernationals.
Hopefully I'll drive my 55 panel there next year!
Any other 50s era truck fans out there?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin,

Just saw your FTS on your page. What a nice car! I will use your pics as a model of what I would want, although due to budget I'll probably never do a lot of what you did.
Now, having ingested Seville/Eldo stuff for a long while, I'll have to learn the Fleetwood stuff, etc.
My Seville is black with chrome wheels. Your car, while not black, had a lot of the same look to it....a dark color with chrome.

Keeping my eves open for an affordable Fleetwood,

Paul G.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Thanks Paul. Yes, an early '96 is a great car and probably an excellent choice overall as long as you're not looking to do a lot of performance mods. The OBDII system is a good deal harder and more expensive to modify. Many people convert thier cars back to OBDI prior to doing mods. Bottom line is that even though the OBDII electronics are actually superior to the OBDI system, the hurdles that you'll have to get by in order to modify the car can be a pain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you knew of any sites ref the nearly equal Fleetwoods/Roadmasters/Impalas.

Sorry to bug you with the questions, but once I get the bug to "learn" about a particular model car, I kind of get this way. Did it last year with the 96 Seville. Had to "learn all about" the Seville/Eldos!

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Check-out the Impala SS forum. They have a section for the Impalas, the Fleetwoods, the Roadmasters and the Caprices. There are a lot of guys there that can give you very speciafic info on the various models.
Just remember that the Chevys, and Buicks are B-bodies and the Caddy is a D-body.

·
Registered
433 Posts
...or you could buy mine. :) It's a kick ass car. Ask anyone who's seen it. :)

I think I'm just getting bored with it... Time to build something else. :D

The lists of mods is so long... check my website: www.uniquekind.net/caddypage

You could own the world's ONLY 6 speed standard Fleetwood Brougham. :cool:

There's a load of parts that go with it too.... ;)

Shoot me an email if you're interested. [email protected]

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
:shocked2: What the HELL?!?!?!?!?! :shocked2:
After all that work you wanna sell the damn thing? What gives?!?!?!?! :shocked2:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mad'lac said:
:shocked2: What the HELL?!?!?!?!?! :shocked2:
After all that work you wanna sell the damn thing? What gives?!?!?!?! :shocked2:
Kim and I have been looking at buying our first house, and are even considering relocating to Florida... So this would be a good move to sell it... ;)

But, I would also love to keep it, so I guess I win either way... :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I probably can't afford yours (about how much $ doyou want?), but if anyone really knows of a nice 95 or early 96, and it's not too far from Virginia, let me know.

If anyone has one and needs any ceramic tile or stone, we can do a partial barter deal. I own a ceramic tile showroom out here.

I am spoiled on the Cadillacs, especially with their nice interiors, having a 93 deVille 4dr and a 96 SLS.

Paul G.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
He's already tired of SHIFTING ;)
Actually, Deanstud's right, Bill IS fickle. This wouldn't be the first time he all of a sudden decided he wanted to sell the Fleetwood. Unfortunately, he keeps doing mods to the car that decrease it's resale value.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't really want to or have to sell it. I was just kind of throwing it out there to judge interest. :D I actually hadn't even considered selling it until I saw this post... So it got me doing a little thinking. ;)

And Kev, don't even START that again!!!! :banghead: I am not tired of shifting! The car is a million times more fun to drive now than it was before.... :D

And I wouldn't take less than $15k for it. So if anyone would be willing to give me that, then I'd take it. Otherwise, I'm more than happy to continue driving it...shifting all the way....
:burn:

·
Registered
266 Posts
$15K?! Sorry dude. Not to say it won't, but probablly not gona happen. Hell, I'm sell'n mine for $7500 with all the mods and extra parts. Granted, your's is probably runing a lot better then mine but be a little realistic ;) . Oh, btw. If all goes well my baby will have a new home next week :( . It's for the better. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts