Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback on coolant leak from engine on rear area of motor next to the firewall. I cannot see leak, it may be a frost plug. How can i get free engine schematics on the net showing frost plug locations? Could it be from something else? it

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hello...... And welcome aboard....... Thanks for signing up :wave:

My guess is its a leaky heater core hose........ The plugs shouldnt leak, unless they were inproperly re-installed, like after a cooling system flush........ Most of the time shops wont mess with the plugs and they hook the car to a machine.......

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Wes may be right here. Freeze plugs are far less likely than a hose leak. To be honest, anyone who fixes the car will have to rely on good old hunting to find the source of the leak. A pressure tester is the best way to go so you can pressurize the system without it being hot.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Lets get some more background on the problem (might as well keep going, im on a roll :spin: )

Has it been doing it for a while, or has it just started...... Any certain conditions it does/doesnt do it.........

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
Wes may be right here. Freeze plugs are far less likely than a hose leak. To be honest, anyone who fixes the car will have to rely on good old hunting to find the source of the leak. A pressure tester is the best way to go so you can pressurize the system without it being hot.

This guy wins....The only way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elwesso said:
Hello...... And welcome aboard....... Thanks for signing up :wave:

My guess is its a leaky heater core hose........ The plugs shouldnt leak, unless they were inproperly re-installed, like after a cooling system flush........ Most of the time shops wont mess with the plugs and they hook the car to a machine.......
A mechanic took it to his place of work and could not see the source of the leak, he than suggested pulling the transmission to expose that area of the motor where the leak is coming from.
Personally, I can't recall an area on any General Motors engine that was not accessible for frost plug (the ones that might rust anyways) and even if one couldn't see it he could at least feel it to change it. Has anyone had these experiences?
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Katshot