Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1992 cadillac Seville STS 4.9L
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , All so today while getting new tires and a line up , upon start up and leaving the shop i got a
low oil pressure stop engine warning , so i stoped car turned it off for few min ran a OBD1 check
no codes so i started car and drove home knowing i was possibly gunna tear up the motor ,but i was
pissed , couse ive just droped over 3 grand into getting my car up and running after a mechanic
messed the motor up ,so at this point i gave the didnt care attitude , anyhow car drove fine home no
smoke ,weird noises nothing , warning lighf or oil pressure warning never camd back on ! Got home
parked car let cool cuz its 90 degrees today in oregon lol ! And iam burning up too ! Went back out
checked oil level and it was ok ! But my oil life was low on dash in car time for oil change normal! But
then noticed few droppings under car right under timimng pully and cover they were new , question is
will this couse that in some sort of way , the mechanic who messed up car also worked on putting thiswhen he screwed up the wated pump and broke the studs to the cover ,we fixed that but i wonder if he didnt tighten to spec properly ! I only say this cause of a few threads ive read in this forum , i know
Also it could be faulty pressure switch, or oil pump ,but my main concern was the timming cover ,but
not very much oil coming out very little drops 3 maybe 4 , so i just wanted to know what some thougts
on this would be ??? Test drove again car runs, starts fine , and no check engine or low oil pressure
message nor codes nothing and tested twice letting sit and idle between runs i did use 40 weight oil
when the head job was completed, but i always have in summer lots of traffic to and fro my work place never had a issue with type of oil weights usage in 10 years of owning car , sorry about the long break down just didnt want to miss a deatail ! I assume its the timming cover cause of where the drops are
located and garage floor being clean and what ive read on this forum ??? ,but will this cause oil
pressure message and stop engine there, never was a check engine light on iether ??

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
1. Low oil pressure WILL NOT trip the MIL. The oil pump is mechanical, not electrical so it is not monitored.
2. Unless you are down to a qt of oil, quantity (oil level) WILL NOT cause an oil pressure message.
3. Torque on the crankshaft damper is applicable to the Northstar (4.6) oil pump, not the 4.9.
4. A timing cover leak has absolutely NOTHING to do with oil pressure.
5. Your problem is most likely a weak or failing pressure switch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ranger !! Should i be concerned that the message didnt appear again, but problem still persist with faulty switch?
Or is it one of those things were ya never know until it happens again , do you have a link for the ac delco switch i also read
dont use any other brands is that true or is it a matter of opinion ! Cant find and parts stores that carry a ac delco oil pressure
switch, odd but true pretty big city portland or.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
==========================
didn't read the entire thread - too difficult -
but - going by the headline - and knowing the 4.9 motor -
I'd recommend replacing the Oil Pressure switch -
and be ABSOLUTELY SURE to use a genuine ACDelco part -

------------------------

ACDelco #D1869C - $11.99 - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1869C-Original-Equipment-Indicator/dp/B000C9QRKG/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Seville|413&Year=1992|1992&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks got it , can some one tell me obviously replacing switch could be the fix ,but other than that if not the switch what could
be the reasons or reason for low oil pressure failure ?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
95% of the time switch is flaky
GM oil pressure senders suck and fail all the time... Haven't owned a GM in 25 years haven't had to change on.
If it comes back after OP change and oil level is fine it would point to oil pump.

·
19,254 Posts
Thanks got it , can some one tell me obviously replacing switch could be the fix ,but other than that if not the switch what could
be the reasons or reason for low oil pressure failure ?
============================
if not the switch what could
be the reasons or reason for low oil pressure failure

basically two reasons -
faulty oil pump -
worn out motor -

-----------------------

just replace the switch and forget about it -

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so everyday is something new about this car !!! Errrr well now i have no turn signals on the dash and light out on the rear
passenger side ,so after reading threads i should check flasher under dash ? Can someone tell me where this is located exactly
please . And any info related to correcting the problem, i have also heard try switching the hazard switch or relay do help
diagnose, so which one would that be thank you ?? Lots guys with all your help lately! !!

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Thank you ranger !! Should i be concerned that the message didnt appear again, but problem still persist with faulty switch?
Or is it one of those things were ya never know until it happens again
It's probably intermittent so "Ya never know until it happens again".

i also read
dont use any other brands is that true or is it a matter of opinion !
It's pretty much a matter of our opinion. Some things you can use other brands and some things you MIGHT be able to. The problem is that you don't know what the other brand is calibrated at. In all honesty, you could probably get away with it, but why chance it. Especially for the price Bass found.

P.S.
Definitely stay away from AutoZone Don'tLast parts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got all the ac delco parts yesterday will be working on car today , once i pull the oil pressure sensor off will oil leak or squrt off so should i be prepared for that to happen ??? Or just a little bit of oil will drip , i have not driving cad in few days sense my coolant
overflow starting to fill and boil with coolant ! The other day i had no coolant circulation in radiator when i let car warm up to
about 180 with radiator cap off to check why i keep hearing boiling water sounds and a slight heat issue sittting at lights , but
temp drops once fans kicks on or start driving , its when i got home turned car off i heard the boiling and the dam overflow was
filled with boiling coolant and coming out of the rslease hole on the cap , so iam replacing radiator cap and thermastat today also.
i know of the common issues but is there anythjng else that would cause no coolant circulation only thing i didnt do is see if one hose is hot or cooler than the other but figured radiator cap not holding pressure or faulty thermastat would possibly fix the
problem maybe ?? I hope lol .iam sure its not heads just had that fixed properly resurfaced the whole nine with those and
Compression check a week ago everything was fine with that So where does that leave me ?? To check or do not sure any
comments would be appreciated thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Got all the ac delco parts yesterday will be working on car today , once i pull the oil pressure sensor off will oil leak or squrt off so should i be prepared for that to happen ??? Or just a little bit of oil will drip
comments would be appreciated thanks!!
Just a little drip. It is not pressurized when the engine is off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi , guys well today my upper radiator connection broke the plastic part the hose fits onto , anyhow upon further review i noticed
that the front condesor radiator type thing in front of the radiator and behind grill was totally clogged with sute or dirt , is there a way tk get this out for cleaning or is it kinda difficult to do this, i already have the radiator out but before i replace it , i want to
clean the other radiator look like part i will post pic and # of part in pic not sure on exact name ?? With it being clogged as bad as mine would this cause overheat issues ? I replaced radiators cap and thermastat drove 4 blocks parked car while i went in store ,
came back out drove 3 blocks and steam from hood , the hose on the upper radiator driver side was off and the plastic was broke
off from being brittle and old so i never really got a chance to see if the cap and thermastat fixed the overflow boil issue , anyhow getting nes radiator in the morn ,suggestions please on ? Part and boil issue car didnt overheat until it broke the hose connection this morn heres a pic of part i want to clean and ask if will cause heating issue or overflow boil over darn i have to resize

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part # 13 to remove or clean while in car i dont have air compressor anymore , will water hose with ajustable nozle work for
removing grit and grim what

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is that the ac condenser radiator or ??? Not sure anynow want to clean it , also wanted tl knlw if it would possibly have
Something tl do with overflow boiling over , but like i said prior didnt really get. Chance to test drive after thermastat and cap
replacement if overflow boil over persist still although i did let idle for hour after installation of those parts with no issues

·
19,254 Posts
So is that the ac condenser radiator or ??? Not sure anynow want to clean it , also wanted tl knlw if it would possibly have
Something tl do with overflow boiling over , but like i said prior didnt really get. Chance to test drive after thermastat and cap
replacement if overflow boil over persist still although i did let idle for hour after installation of those parts with no issues
=====================
So is that the ac condenser radiator or ???
it is the condenser - yes - part of the AC system -

also wanted tl knlw if it would possibly have
Something tl do with overflow boiling over

if it is as dirty as you describe - YES -
there is a POSSIBILITY -
it could restrict the airflow through the radiator -

i did let idle for hour after installation of those parts with no issues
at idle - the engine is doing virtually no work -
so - no big requirement for cooling -
just the action of coolant flowing through the system is sufficient -

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Not only can a clogged condenser cause the engine to overheat by restricting the air flow to the radiator, but it will make your A/C system much less efficient.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can someone confirm part #13 name please ?? I think its ac condenser is this correct? ?? And if this part air flow is blocked
would it couse my engine over heat problem?

·
Registered
91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
675 Posts
Can someone confirm part #13 name please ?? I think its ac condenser is this correct? ?? And if this part air flow is blocked
would it couse my engine over heat problem?
Pic won't load on mobile but I've experienced this before, take the grill out and degree and pressure wash at a car wash. This will cause a phantom overheating issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts