Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 Seville w/ 118k miles, it has recently (w/ in 100 miles) started running rough, the tach is somewhat erratic and the MPG has gotten worse and sometimes a little buzz near the gas tank as well.

When I punch it going 60-70 it really doesn't do anything unless it activates the passing gear... then it'll go. At times when it's climbing hills it will feel like it's missing and lurch and stuff like that. Sometimes the tach will be fine and it will run ok and the car will seem to run like it should.

Now I've been doing a bunch of searches around the net and it seems like it's probably the injectors. So my question is does this sound about right, given the problems with the jumpy tach and crummy MPG? I plan to try some of that fuel injector cleaner today and I'm going to test the fuel pressure. However if this doesn't work I'll probably end up doing the injectors myself. I've never done them before so can anyone reccommend a good shop manual (is a haynes sufficient?) that will steer me in the right direction? Also, is there a visual way to tell if they're bad? And finially, will I have to take it to a shop to have them reset the computer so it knows there are some new injectors so it can adjust itself accordingly?

Thanks in advance for the reply.
dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
gunganine said:
I have a '92 Seville w/ 118k miles, it has recently (w/ in 100 miles) started running rough, the tach is somewhat erratic and the MPG has gotten worse and sometimes a little buzz near the gas tank as well.

When I punch it going 60-70 it really doesn't do anything unless it activates the passing gear... then it'll go. At times when it's climbing hills it will feel like it's missing and lurch and stuff like that. Sometimes the tach will be fine and it will run ok and the car will seem to run like it should.

Now I've been doing a bunch of searches around the net and it seems like it's probably the injectors. So my question is does this sound about right, given the problems with the jumpy tach and crummy MPG? I plan to try some of that fuel injector cleaner today and I'm going to test the fuel pressure. However if this doesn't work I'll probably end up doing the injectors myself. I've never done them before so can anyone reccommend a good shop manual (is a haynes sufficient?) that will steer me in the right direction? Also, is there a visual way to tell if they're bad? And finially, will I have to take it to a shop to have them reset the computer so it knows there are some new injectors so it can adjust itself accordingly?

Thanks in advance for the reply.
dan
First thing you need to do is check fuel pressure. You might have a plugged fuel filter. Your fuel pump may not pump the volume needed. You said you heard a noise from the back, maybe fuel pump. Start there. I have never replaced more than two fuel injectors on an engine. If you get a manual, try first to get a factory man. Only in a last resort use chilton/haynes- then pray they give you all the info you need. Most likely not.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Nada

The rear fuel pump noise can tell alot. Any strange new loud sounds or a change in the pitch can indicate a pump on its last legs.

Injectors very rarely go bad. 2-300K miles most should be ok.

'tach jumping around'...anytime you see a tach needle jumping around you should suspect something in the ignition system. Could be something as simple as a new cap and rotor.

Logan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Logandiagnostic