Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC compressor is bad in my car and I don't want to deal with it until after the holidays. It seems that when I set the temp to any particular setting the system insist on activating the compressor. This makes zero sense and I've never had a car that does this just for heat. I read the owners manual but found nothing to overcome this. Am I correct that even the heat activated the compressor (which is a waste of gas) or am I just poorly confused and don't know what I'm doing?

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
DBA-One said:
The AC compressor is bad in my car and I don't want to deal with it until after the holidays. It seems that when I set the temp to any particular setting the system insist on activating the compressor. This makes zero sense and I've never had a car that does this just for heat. I read the owners manual but found nothing to overcome this. Am I correct that even the heat activated the compressor (which is a waste of gas) or am I just poorly confused and don't know what I'm doing?
Do not set your Climate Control to AUTO; that will engage the compressor. Instead, set it to ECON. The economy mode doesn't use the compressor.

Regards,
Warren

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
As Warren said, AUTO uses the A/C compressor til about 35 degrees. The idea is that it dehumidifies the air. Defrost on the other hand enables A/C at any tempurature.

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Ranger raises an important point: you will engage the compressor if you activate your front defroster. Just pull the plug on your compressor's clutch. No more compressor engagement, GUARANTEED!

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let me speak from experience on this one.......I know this sounds weird, but if you hit the defrost button (for the front windeshield) and then hit ECON or high on the temp module, the heat will begin to blow...Please do not ask me why..it just seems to work ...although you really should look into getting the refrigerant refilled anyway!!!...Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
One more alternative is to unplug the electrical connector at the compressor and use a short jumper wire on the female plug side of A/C low pressure switch. Be sure to do both steps. If you bypass only the low pressure switch you may do permanent damage to the compressor if it is forced to run with low a refrigerant charge. This will permit all settings to work but you will not have the benefit of dehumidification on those cold days when the windows want to fog up. You will have plenty of heat along with the defrost option assuming your heater works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts