Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I was driving on the freeway and the A/C, cruise control, and the electronic shifting transmission went out. I was stuck in what seemed like 3rd gear. When I took it in the mechanic said one wire in the dash burnt up and didn't allow the computer to communicate with the car (not allowing it to shift). I had it replaced fairly cheap, and now just the other day it seems like it burnt up again. Any idea as to where I can find the wire and why it keeps burning up?

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
could be wrong fuse in the fuse block. burnt up wires tend not to happen because you blow the fuse that is why they are there.
of course any aftermarket things like alarm or radio if installed wrong can do this to
a bad ground can do some crazy things also
there is allways the possibility the guy used wrong size wire to replace but still dont explain why burnt up in first place

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Does your AC work? Usually when the AC compressor starts working hard or seizing up it will blow that fuse. If somebody replaced it with a larger fuse then the wire burns. You could try unplugging the ac compressor until you can get it fixed or looked at.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Is the car completely stock? No after market remote starters, stereos, nav etc?

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
is it rusty on the undercarriage because if not try unplugging the ac and check the fuse for proper amp it is under the glove box (at least in the 91)
let me know if you wont me to look at fuse block and I will tell you what mine looks like for reference (have to look)

fried wires only happen when two much power goes through so fuse should have blown

on a long shot the ecm or other computer components may have gone bad their are capacitors in there and some times they can when bad overload a system but never seen it on a car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts