Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while driving the car i came to a stop and while turning right heard a loud popping sound. Instantly it was difficult to steer the car (the wheel would also no longer return to its center position) and i came back home. I assumed it was the power steering pump..but i had it changed and still the same problem...any ideas what else could be wrong?

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
WHere exactly are you getting the noise from? If its directly behind the sterring wheel, you may need to get it lubricated (the part the houses the turn signal switch), i had a similiar problem and turned out to be the fix. Otherwise you may have a problem in your steering rack, watch your power steering fluid closesly. SOmetimes a popping sound will come from bad balljoints too though.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the popping noise was a one time thing..now the wheel just doesnt come back to its center position...and its ridiculously hard to steer...the fluid levels okay cuz it was topped up when the power steering pump was replaced a few days ago

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
The wheel should come back to center very easily and on its own. My friend had a similiar problem after getting some steering work done on his acura. I suggest you take it back to the shop that changed out the pump, they definetly forgot to lubricate something or installed something wrong. Don't take the car back until its fixed, and don't give them anymore money.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess ill add to this..turns out that the rack and pinion had blown a seal or something causing back pressure at the pump...the new pump also blew and had to be replaced again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts