Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I noticed some moisture on the connection right where the rubber hose (leading from the radiator) to metal line (connection off the tranny) meet. there are two small clamps there that hold the rubber line onto the metal line. the moisture looks like motor oil but the placement of it makes me think it could be tranny oil.

I dont notice any change in my tranny oil level and never have had to add. where as engine oil im always adding.

any suggestions on how to determine if its engine oil or tranny oil? hard to tell my color/smell/taste.

ill post a pic or two soon

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Not unusual for trans line to seep, usually time for replacement before start leaking good.
Trans fluid reddish and has a distinctive smell(sample smell a bottle some time).
Hoses are cheap enougj to either have new made with existing fittings or new can be found readily usually. I picked up one for $5 or $10 off ebay for my 98.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and its just a matter of putting on the new hose and clamps?

if i do it will I puke a lot of tranny fluid as soon as a disconnect it where Ill have to top off later?

Also, where the hose goes into the radiator, is it just a clamp or two there too? I didnt track the line all the way in, I just saw it was headed to the radiator

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
and its just a matter of putting on the new hose and clamps?

if i do it will I puke a lot of tranny fluid as soon as a disconnect it where Ill have to top off later?

Also, where the hose goes into the radiator, is it just a clamp or two there too? I didnt track the line all the way in, I just saw it was headed to the radiator
If you unhook with running you'll get a surprise.... LOL Not much drains out in reality from hose changes. A top up will be necessary I'm sure. The rad ends either screw in or quick connectors. I'm not sure on your year.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you go with standard replacement or steel braided? =D

----------

Here are the pics

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's definitely tranny fluid. Not a major leak still but I'm planning on replacing the lines soon. I take time with things that are not in immediate need that I'm still learning about.

When replacing I presume I just take the old lines off one at a time, clean the mating surfaces and then clamp on new hose. Top off if needed.

That all there is to it or am I missing anything? You guys have any advice on things to do or not to do when I do this?

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Try tightening the clamps first. My 94s hoses looked like that at the cooler and eventually you could even see the damp fluid. I was ready to change the hoses thinking it was old and swolen but the clamps took a fraction of a turn and problem solved.
Check the other end of the hose too because some of them are crimped on to a solid line and are a bit more work involved. Otherwise you pretty much said how to replace the hose. Make sure it's one for transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brougham said:
Try tightening the clamps first. My 94s hoses looked like that at the cooler and eventually you could even see the damp fluid. I was ready to change the hoses thinking it was old and swolen but the clamps took a fraction of a turn and problem solved. Check the other end of the hose too because some of them are crimped on to a solid line and are a bit more work involved. Otherwise you pretty much said how to replace the hose. Make sure it's one for transmission fluid.
hahaha right on brotha. They say tranny oil cooler or something on em ;)

I'll give em a snug and clean them off. The previous pics show slight moisture. Present day it's getting more prominent. I'll snap a pic in a bit. Standard hose clamps on both sides I believe. I know what you're saying about those crimped connectors though

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Get some fuel injection hose clamps of the proper size, they clamp better and don't distort. Otherwise yep just swap new lines on.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snugged the clamps about a quarter turn each. Felt like I was gonna hurt the lines a little bit but I didn't use too much torque. Just snugged.

Cleaned off as much of the moisture and have been keeping an eye on it. So far it has stopped the seeping.

Very simple quick fix for now. I'm working day and night and am procrastinating replacing the lines. When I have a break this winter I'll do both tranny lines as the current ones are old and kinda brittle to the touch.

Thanks for the tip brougham and thanks everyone for your support!

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
They get hard and brittle with age, and the clamps bite through the hardened rubber. If you feel up to it, replace it with new rubber (ask for transmission hose specifically), and install a Magnafine or Wix 5/16 magnetic filter on the cooler supply line.

If fluid can leak out, air can leak in. Not a big deal for transmissions (usually there are breather lines anyway) but its important as a general rule.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
Not trying to jack dchavezo's thread, but I have a similar seepage. I had tightened the clamps but the seepage is coming back. One of my lines has a crimped connection on the transmission side, and I believe that's where the has started leaking out. I have no experience with such connections and wonder what has to be done to replace the line. Any help, please?

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mc_marto said:
Not trying to jack dchavezo's thread, but I have a similar seepage. I had tightened the clamps but the seepage is coming back. One of my lines has a crimped connection on the transmission side, and I believe that's where the has started leaking out. I have no experience with such connections and wonder what has to be done to replace the line. Any help, please?
can you post a pic of the connector and seepage mcmarto?

Also does anyone know if there are "dash" connectors that we can use for these tranny lines. (Usually used on fuel lines) is there a benefit to this conversion if it's possible?

I'm sure standard clamps would do the trick but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
dchavezo you're welcome. I can tell you it's been a few years for mine and it's still good and not leaking. Altho I'll have a look again in the next couple days when I check fluids.

You can get fuel injection style clamps that size but they're not necessary.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally replaced the two lines today.

Definitely get 3/8" Tranny oil cooler line.

The car spec is 11/32".

5/16ths is too small and you'll never get it on. I tried at first with the 5/16ths and couldn't get it.

Anyway. All set. Now the only hose on the radiator left to do is the lower one. But since it's the cool side it'll probably be fine. Still looks and feels good but I'll replace it soon enough anyway. I already have the replacement here in a box...

Anyway, thanks for all the tips guys. Here's what the original quarter of a century old hose was looking like

1 - 17 of 17 Posts