Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idling at the local taco bell, car died. On the fly diagnostics, figured out:
  • fuel pressure present
  • cranks strongly but does not catch
  • checked all fuses (inside and maxi fuse) all good
Figured, that left spark. Checked my records. Have replaced all sorts of sensors, wires, plugs, etc over the years, but never the distributor/icm/pickup coil/crank sensor/coil (on this model, they are all integrated into the distributor).

Got the car back to the "shop". Will do the spark, coil, distributor diagnostics. But figured I would look at possible parts options as a prep.

At first glance, gm does not have a full setup, but do sell coil, cap, rotor, icm separately. Rockauto offers cardone, autoline, spectra, world power. And then there is the durolast, napa.

Contemplating slapping in a new full stack and then raiding the old one for parts later on. Recommended brands?

(And yes, if it's just a coil etc, I'll just replace that)

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started diagnostics this weekend

• fuel pressure at key on is 42
  • checked spark with timing light, signal found on the 5 wires I checked - assume the others are getting them
  • pulled dizzy cap and rotor to check things. Typical corrosion build up (old school sand paper to brighten things up). Coil checked out (.1, 14k)
  • Didn't pull the dizzy to check hall and pickup as spark signal and coil where showing good
  • stethoscope to injector on crank, no ticking (slow rpm during cranking may slow the injector opening/closing so as to dull ticking?).
  • Will put NOID light on to confirm injector
Possible no injector opening behavior could tied to VAT bypass. In know the VAT system would disable injectors, and starter. The starter security relay has already been bypassed. The security light does not stay on like it did when VAT bypass failed so I think the security system is good.

Found the 3rd bank of fuses that has the 2x10amp fuses that supply the fuses. They are good. (Mhmm not sure why these fuses are not easy to access , silly gm)

FSM shows power through the ign relay, to the 2x10amp fuses, to the injectors and then to pcm.

Hmmmm, is there a dedicated ground for the injector circuits for the pcm? Not sure if everything else can work, but not the injectors. . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts