Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 el dorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, ...so I have a 92 eldorado that i just bought and it has high miles, 240,000. When I am turning fairly sharp, in motion, there is a very loud popping/clunking sound coming from the front left wheel well. It only happens when turning while in motion, if I sit there with the car in park and move the wheel back in forth there is no popping sound at all. Any ideas on what it could be?...the other thing I should note is there the a lot of wear on the outside of the front left tire, so I thought it might be the ball joint, but the ball joint appears to be new....Also I should mention that the cv boots apear to be intact, no visable tears. I am at a loss for what this sound could be, for how loud it is you would think it would be overly apparent where the sound is coming from....but from what I can see there is nothing wrong....if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate the help.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,245 Posts
probably a worn out CV joint

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
Replace BOTH front tires and then take is somewhere REPUTABLE and have it aligned.....

That should take care of the suspension bind you are experiencing.

·
19,245 Posts
Replace BOTH front tires and then take is somewhere REPUTABLE and have it aligned.....

That should take care of the suspension bind you are experiencing.
----------------------------
are you sure?

if I sit there with the car in park
and move the wheel back in forth there
is no popping sound at all.

When I am turning fairly sharp, in motion,
there is a very loud popping/clunking sound
coming from the front left wheel well.

there the a lot of wear on the outside of the front left tire,
so I thought it might be the ball joint,
but the ball joint appears to be new

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
VERY sure... have run up against this in other FWD vehicles during my time as a shop manager......

·
19,245 Posts
VERY sure... have run up against this in other FWD vehicles during my time as a shop manager......
-----------------
CLASSIC worn outer CV joint -

but I guess we'll have to wait 'til the OP gets it fixed -
and reports the outcome -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,778 Posts
:hmm: I would have guessed CV joint as well. :noidea:

·
Registered
1999 STS
56 Posts
My guess is either a worn CV joint, or broken sway bar end link/links. Mine was doing the same thing as it's in the shop right now, they said one of my sway bar links was broken so they are replacing them both.

They also said one of my CV boots had a pin hole in it. I'm not replaing the CV joint but if the problem persists I will. But they said the popping was most likely the sway bar link that's broken.

Get up under it and see if you can find anything loose.

·
Registered
1999 STS
56 Posts
Look at your sway bar end links, as I said mine did the same thing. That is why I'm a member here. After years of trolling I found the problem answered here for my clunk/pop sound as I have found other remedies for issues here as well.

·
Registered
1976 Eldorado Convertible
41 Posts
I know this sounds odd,but it happened to me (and its cheap).Make sure there's grease in your ball joints.I had new ones put in my car & the Mech. never greased them.It made very loud unhappy popping sounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts