Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 El Dorado
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Cadillac enthusiasts.

So, I am now the owner of a 1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe.
45K miles, black exterior, Bose sound system. No idea what other options were significant besides heated seats.
Service records since day 1.

I was wondering what the normal 'average' operating temperature is for the coolant?
275 F ? 290 F ? What temperature is extremely high ? The owner's book does not state these facts.

This is the first V-8 I have owned.

also:
A/C compressor does not turn on ( supposedly leak R-12 at evaporator core). Is this an easy fix?,

"service ride system" message on the dash display. Does this indicate a problem with the gas assist shocks or is it just a 'dummy light' of sorts?

Around 1986 I owned a Dodge Daytona coupe with front wheel drive.
That car had a tendency to wear the outer edges of the front tires.
I was told that this was normal for front wheel drive cars.
This Eldorado is front wheel drive and the outer 1/2 inch edges of the front tires seem slightly more worn than the rest of the (worn) tread.

Is this normal or possibly due to a need for camber alignment or other?

Please excuse my not having thoroughly searched the archives but I'm just getting used to this forum.

Thanks.:hmm:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,630 Posts
Those temps are WELL into the overheating area. I think the 4.9 runs a little cooler than the Northstar. I'd say 200 or so is normal.

The evaporator is in the dash. Not a real easy fix.

Worn outer edges on the tires is from under inflation.

·
Registered
92 El Dorado
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Ranger. You are correct about the average temp.

from another source:
"the car has a 195 thermostat which means car will normally run at 15 degrees above that or 210 degrees as this is normal. 260 degrees is the programmed overheat number. the fan control by the ECM is programmed to come on at or around 234 degrees. "-- a master mechanic

Mine actually was operating within that acceptable range but I plan to replace the radiator cap anyway (14-15 psi) . The numbers I tossed out were random.

Your help is appreciated. THX.

On ride control service alert:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/suspension-brakes-tires/170933-1992-eldorado-service-ride-control.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts