Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was out on the high way crusin with a friend. One of our other friends pulls up in his monte ss. Both of our cars are stock. He always said he would crush me i always smiled and said who knows.

The time came both of us lined up red light clear road for miles ahead. We inched up untill the light turned.
:burn: :burn: We both smoked off the line. When I looked over when i was doing around 45 he was about 3/4 of a car length back. That's when i really was getting reved up. Faster and faster we went him very slowly lossing distance on me. By the time we both hit around 100 or so i was about 2 car lengths ahead and the argument was settled. I have beaten him and i was happy.

That same night I lined up with another friends car same situation. He has a 2 door 97 GTP grand prix. Im not going to enclose the details of that one but i think that everyone can figure out what happened there.
Well good luck to all you win some you lose some but its ALWAYS fun

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
yesterday i was out on the high way crusin with a friend. One of our other friends pulls up in his monte ss. Both of our cars are stock. He always said he would crush me i always smiled and said who knows.

The time came both of us lined up red light clear road for miles ahead. We inched up untill the light turned.
:burn: :burn: We both smoked off the line. When I looked over when i was doing around 45 he was about 3/4 of a car length back. That's when i really was getting reved up. Faster and faster we went him very slowly lossing distance on me. By the time we both hit around 100 or so i was about 2 car lengths ahead and the argument was settled. I have beaten him and i was happy.

That same night I lined up with another friends car same situation. He has a 2 door 97 GTP grand prix. Im not going to enclose the details of that one but i think that everyone can figure out what happened there.
That's awesome bro...I have done some high speed racing with monte carlo's as well but not from a stop. It was about a year ago and I was ABSOLUTELY BOMBING with a silver Monte Carlo with a Quebec plate on my trip up to Northern Maine. We would take turns leading, passing eachother etc. It was def. a good natured, 1 and a half hour dual between me and him. It got to the point where we were just trading passes and cracking up every time we went by each other. What he didn't know is that my car's governer kept coming on at around 115 the whole time and thats why he kept passing me back. DAMN GOVERNOR!!:mad:

Anway, great kill in the old school eldo!! that thing is going to be officially a classic car pretty soon. Cadillac Representin!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AirJigga25 said:
That's awesome bro...I have done some high speed racing with monte carlo's as well but not from a stop. It was about a year ago and I was ABSOLUTELY BOMBING with a silver Monte Carlo with a Quebec plate on my trip up to Northern Maine. We would take turns leading, passing eachother etc. It was def. a good natured, 1 and a half hour dual between me and him. It got to the point where we were just trading passes and cracking up every time we went by each other. What he didn't know is that my car's governer kept coming on at around 115 the whole time and thats why he kept passing me back. DAMN GOVERNOR!!:mad:

Anway, great kill in the old school eldo!! that thing is going to be officially a classic car pretty soon. Cadillac Representin!
I have taken other cars like civics, preludes, sentras. etc... all that rice crap but that really isn't that impressive so i didn't bother posting it but the monte was fun we were having a lot of fun

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Wait, are you saying you lost to the GTP? I wouldn't have expected that. Is this the supercharged V6? 240HP? Still, even though it's a lighter car I would've thought the Eldo could hang. :confused:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elvis said:
Wait, are you saying you lost to the GTP? I wouldn't have expected that. Is this the supercharged V6? 240HP? Still, even though it's a lighter car I would've thought the Eldo could hang. :confused:
I got killed by it. My car is the 4.9L with 200 HP. basically stock. The GTP is the supercharged 6 with 240 but he put the ram air in to boost it to around 250. off the line he crushes me everytime at high speeds and turns we are right on each others ass

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
I have taken other cars like civics, preludes, sentras. etc... all that rice crap but that really isn't that impressive so i didn't bother posting it but the monte was fun we were having a lot of fun
Oh great here we go again with the ricer bashing. I am guessing the Civic's, Prelude's, and Sentra's you have raced have been bottom of the line models of each. A Civic SI, Prelude SI or SH, and any Sentra SE, SE-R, or Spec V would all hand you your ass no problem. And please a 2000 Monte SS is by no means a fast car.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BlackoutSpecV said:
Oh great here we go again with the ricer bashing. I am guessing the Civic's, Prelude's, and Sentra's you have raced have been bottom of the line models of each. A Civic SI, Prelude SI or SH, and any Sentra SE, SE-R, or Spec V would all hand you your ass no problem. And please a 2000 Monte SS is by no means a fast car.
It has nothing to do with bashing rice. I have beaten a lot of STOCK yes STOCK rice cars. Civic si, prelude etc..... I consider a lawnmower muffler still stock. There is one yellow honda CRX and a blue civic with yellow int. that are around my area that is in now way stock and they kills me. Ill admit that he can beat me but there are very few STOCK rice cars out there that can keep up. There

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm glad you had fun. As far as I'm concerned, the races went just as I'd expect. The stock V6 Monte is actually a pretty slow car, and the supercharged GTP is actually a pretty FAST car. Have fun but be safe.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Katshot said:
I'm glad you had fun. As far as I'm concerned, the races went just as I'd expect. The stock V6 Monte is actually a pretty slow car, and the supercharged GTP is actually a pretty FAST car. Have fun but be safe.
I have grown up a lot in 4 years of driving. Yeah i still speed and race a little but now i acually think before i do things. The first year of driving i got 3 tickets, 1 crash, 14 warnings, last 3 years 1 ticket, 0 crash, 2 warnings.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i still spanked a built 1990 mustang GT. that was fun. he asked me what the hell i had done to my car. His jaw dropped when i told him all i did was put cheaper than stock plugs in it.

And my bro has a 1998 regal GS (3800II SC) he has a CIA kit and a smaller pulley on it. He spanks my ETC every time we race.... its actually kinda funny watching a caddy and a buick race.

We were on the hightway one night in his buick and a guy in a brand new STS tried running us... he couldnt keep up, even on the high end where my bros car runs out of power and the STS gains it.

Lesson learned: Stock caddies do not race 3800II SC cars cus for about $400 in parts they can run 13's in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
i still spanked a built 1990 mustang GT. that was fun. he asked me what the hell i had done to my car. His jaw dropped when i told him all i did was put cheaper than stock plugs in it.

And my bro has a 1998 regal GS (3800II SC) he has a CIA kit and a smaller pulley on it. He spanks my ETC every time we race.... its actually kinda funny watching a caddy and a buick race.

We were on the hightway one night in his buick and a guy in a brand new STS tried running us... he couldnt keep up, even on the high end where my bros car runs out of power and the STS gains it.

Lesson learned: Stock caddies do not race 3800II SC cars cus for about $400 in parts they can run 13's in the 1/4 mile.
DAMN RIGHT!
It's amazing how easy it is to get those cars to be VERY FAST. Most people don't believe me when I tell them...until they either get spanked by one or see one run at the track. ;)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The northstar should be able to handle the GTP or regal GS on the high end..... They sorta run out of steam at about 90.......

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
This is one thing that never ceases to amaze me. How everybody seems to think the Northstar is this deep-breathing top-end monster, and so many other cars that are quicker and faster "run out of steam at top-end". Nothing could be farther from the truth. What makes so many people think that?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
In the case of gtp losing top end, isn't that lot to do with gearing as well? I had a gtp and it was quick. I only had 3.2" pulley, new pcm, shift kit, cold air intake, aux tranny cooler (transmission is rated max @ 280lbft and car is rated 280 @3x00rpm) and 17" light weight wheels and tires.

Off the line, i don't think you can smoke a gtp(stock) with stock northstar powered cadillac(fwd). On the highend side, northstar powered cadillac doesn't show hestitation until governor whereas gtp loses steam after 90 or so.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:

You think a Sentra SE or SE-R would hand any of the northstar caddies their ass? Or even the bigger Fleetwoods with the LT1? Not to be rude, but the SI Honda's and the Sentra's are all in the 15's. Low 15's if you drive them like you hate them. The northstars move just about every vehicle they're in to a high 14. (Even the new SRX with it's northstar manages a 15.0) The Fleetwoods with the LT1 have enough torque to move to a 15.0, and with enough rubber down on the ground, even faster. They're the same platform as the Bubble Imps and Caprice's, both of which manage a 15.0 from the box. Despite Car and Driver saying 15.5... Saw a Caprice run from 2nd gear off the line (Yes, he started in 2nd gear) and he still managed a 16.04) As for the Monte SS not being a fast car, I won't argue that. It's going to be a bit livelier soon when GM tosses the SC version of the 3.8 in, and the new Impala gets similar treatment soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
My caddy has a 4.9L northstar with some mods and i will smoke just about any rice burner out there stock or not... preludes, civics, you name it (except the Supras and STi's of course)...vtech sucks and all that rice jazz... and ill take a GTP off of the line on any day... ill take a 4.6L northstar off of the line any day too... the cadillac engines have so much power off of the line i can't even believe your even comparing it to a sentra or a civic or even a GTP at that.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kgjg8588 said:
My caddy has a 4.9L northstar with some mods and i will smoke just about any rice burner out there stock or not... preludes, civics, you name it (except the Supras and STi's of course)...vtech sucks and all that rice jazz... and ill take a GTP off of the line on any day... ill take a 4.6L northstar off of the line any day too... the cadillac engines have so much power off of the line i can't even believe your even comparing it to a sentra or a civic or even a GTP at that.
4.9L northstar??? didn't know they made one.

Blackouts comment about a ricer killing me was b/c i have the 4.9L with 200HP in a heavy car. Most of the ricer cars will beat you off the line b/c of weight.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
ShadowLvr400 said:
The Fleetwoods with the LT1 have enough torque to move to a 15.0
16.6 seconds elapsed time at 86.6 MPH (with 2.56:1 Rear Axle) for a stock Cadillac Fleetwood is not faster then a 15.196 stock Spec V. You have to remember a little thing called power to weight ratio here. A 2xx hp car that weighs almost 4000 lbs if not more will need a lot more power to get it into the low 15's. But a car that weighs 2700 like mine does with 170 hp and 180 lb/tq is going to be quicker with the better power to weight ratio. But the Northstar engine's are nothing to really gawk at. They make decent power and all but the engine is by no means made for racing use. The Fleetwood has the most potential out of all the Cadillac's just due to the fact that it has the LT1 in it. LT1 = a lot better after market then a Northstar.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
And IMO the LT1 is a much more solid engine..... Id feel more comfortable putting high HP mods (forced induction, NOS, etc) on a LT than I would a northstar.... The northstar is sensitive as it is, it doenst need anything to help it....!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
24 Participants
GERMEEZY1