Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has a chilton, hayes or Caddy direct manual or is a mechanic that can tell me if the only way to change the back for plugs are by tilting the motor forward or if there is a tool I can buy to reach them. Also the hoses that cross on top of the engine, think they are A/C mostly and perhaps some others are moveable for access to the plugs. Anyway If anyone has any ideas suggestions or places I can go to get my own manual on the car it'd be great. Local stores don't seem to carry those books. For that matter finding parts for the thing is difficult without going to the dealer and we all know what that costs.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Caddyman92 said:
Just wondering if anyone has a chilton, hayes or Caddy direct manual or is a mechanic that can tell me if the only way to change the back for plugs are by tilting the motor forward or if there is a tool I can buy to reach them. Also the hoses that cross on top of the engine, think they are A/C mostly and perhaps some others are moveable for access to the plugs. Anyway If anyone has any ideas suggestions or places I can go to get my own manual on the car it'd be great. Local stores don't seem to carry those books. For that matter finding parts for the thing is difficult without going to the dealer and we all know what that costs.
Well about getting to the plugs. I think you do have to tilt the motor. About the book. Check the following, national auto, napa, pepboys, book stores like boarders, ebay, or go to your GMC dealer (they normally are easier to deal with) and ask them how to. Most of the time they will give you a print out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Caddyman92 said:
Hi
I have the same year, and recently did my plugs. I didn't have to tilt the motor. You need your spark plug socket, a short extension, a universal and a socket wrench. 2,4 & 6 I did standing by the pass. tire, 8 by the driver's. You have to do them by feel, do 1 then put the wire back, then move on. Pick the right combo of wrench, extension, universal, whatever works for that plug.
And when you install, fingers only til they're well started. It's easy to cross-thread.
They took about a half hour and I didn't move any hoses.Honestly, it wasn't much worse than my Chevelle with all the crap they stuufed over those. Drilling holes in the wheel well liner, removing the A\C comp. etc.
They're really not that bad.
Bob

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
bob2231 said:
Hi
I have the same year, and recently did my plugs. I didn't have to tilt the motor. You need your spark plug socket, a short extension, a universal and a socket wrench. 2,4 & 6 I did standing by the pass. tire, 8 by the driver's. You have to do them by feel, do 1 then put the wire back, then move on. Pick the right combo of wrench, extension, universal, whatever works for that plug.
And when you install, fingers only til they're well started. It's easy to cross-thread.
They took about a half hour and I didn't move any hoses.Honestly, it wasn't much worse than my Chevelle with all the crap they stuufed over those. Drilling holes in the wheel well liner, removing the A\C comp. etc.
They're really not that bad.
Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the info. If you say it only to about 30 mins. Then that means about an hour for me. I have the tools to do it and i will end up picking up the plugs on friday. About wires you recomend replacing them and if so any brand where to get them.
thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Bob,
Thanks for the info. If you say it only to about 30 mins. Then that means about an hour for me. I have the tools to do it and i will end up picking up the plugs on friday. About wires you recomend replacing them and if so any brand where to get them.
thanks
Josh
I went over my wires pretty well and decided not to change them. If I had, I guess OEM would be best. I'm not sure, but the bigger parts stores may carry them.
I should have mentioned that there's some knee and lower back strain involved in this. Some of the positions might make people think you reeeeaaaalllly love your car a bit too much.
Bob

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
bob2231 said:
Josh
I went over my wires pretty well and decided not to change them. If I had, I guess OEM would be best. I'm not sure, but the bigger parts stores may carry them.
I should have mentioned that there's some knee and lower back strain involved in this. Some of the positions might make people think you reeeeaaaalllly love your car a bit too much.
Bob
That is why i said it would take me an hour min. beer, plug, beer, plug, beer, plug, beer, pisser, beer, plug, etc...
I'll get some pics to help those out and maybe we can get a tech. pic section going

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Katshot