Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this forum have a go to guy like 73EldoCoupe (Jakes Stud Kits) for a 1992 4.9L head gasket problem? Going to call Northstar Performance tomorrow but it looks like he only handles Northstars. New Jersey, looking to drop it off and get it done but not at a dealer. Not averse to travelllling a little.

I knew this day would come.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
A head gasket on most engines will usually put coolant in the oil. Not vice versa. My guess would be a leaky oil cooler line in the radiator side tank.

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a friend who was a Cadillac mechanic for 30 years. He doesn't want to do it. He said evidence of a blown head gasket is what looks like coffee latte under the radiator cap. I have that and can see globules in the coolant. I will look into what you said, though.
I'll clean under the cap , check the oil cooler line and keep an eye on everything.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
I have a friend who was a Cadillac mechanic for 30 years. He doesn't want to do it. He said evidence of a blown head gasket is what looks like coffee latte under the radiator cap. I have that and can see globules in the coolant. I will look into what you said, though.
I'll clean under the cap , check the oil cooler line and keep an eye on everything.
Thanks.
Ahh, that's a different story. Your title said "Oil In The Coolant". Latte under the radiator cap is NOT a good sign. That said, the 4.9 is not known for head gaskets so check it out closely. Might just be an intake manifold gasket. I think they had some problems with those.

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I'm wondering if I was wrong and Al said look under the oil cap, not the radiator cap, for the latte type stuff. Sounds much more likely now that I'm thinking about it. I'll check that in the morning. Was months ago. Looks more like a thimbleful of soft light brown mud under the radiator cap with a globule or two floating in the radiator. Some slight oily brownish residue on the inside of the overflow tank too. Car just turned 60K garage kept miles now and was immaculate when I bought it from a friend whose uncle just succumbed to lung cancer a few months ago. The coolant was changed around 01/2009 by a local mechanic, not a dealer, by the previous owner so I don't know if there's coolant tabs but would tend to believe not. Stock Eldo so I don't know if there's an oil cooler in the radiator but I will find out tomorrow.
I appreciate all the help. Thank you.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much either way. A competent mechanic should be able to handle H/Gs on this car for a relatively normal price. If the car is as nice as you say it is (and you better post pics so we can see it!) then it is worth repairing, no question.

1992 Sevilles and Eldos are increasingly RARE birds. ESPECIALLY in immaculate shape.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
What you are describing sounds like sealant tab residue under the radiator cap and in the tank. What does the oil cap and dipstick look like?

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much either way. A competent mechanic should be able to handle H/Gs on this car for a relatively normal price. If the car is as nice as you say it is (and you better post pics so we can see it!) then it is worth repairing, no question.

1992 Sevilles and Eldos are increasingly RARE birds. ESPECIALLY in immaculate shape.
After selling my 92 eldo. and regretting it, I looked for another one,it took 2 years before I found one in good condition, they are a rare bird in any condition, I especially wanted the 4.9.

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oil filler cap is pristine underneath, Oil was changed Thursday and, at 3K, looked brand new (completely clear). Dipstick looks like it just came out of a parts bag...zero lacquer. I wiped out most of the muck (what little there was) under the radiator cap yesterday and blew it out with compressed air today. The amount was so minimal and I only saw a globule or 2 around the size of a match head of what appeared to be a coagulated substance in the coolant. No exxagerations. This was very well maintained for the miles and just has a touch of oil seepage from the valve cover gaskets which barely makes it down the block. Enough people think it is either the oil cooler by the radiator or possibly the intake gasket that I think I'll keep checking it and adopt a wait and see attitude.

No overheating or cooling loss.

I probably overreacted a bit Next time I wash it I'll put some pics up. The color is mediocre at a dark blue with a medium blue interior but it looks classy and I appreciate the car, the history of my friends uncle and all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts