Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum today!

Found it a good resource and had to join.
My 92' Eldo. TC, service engine soon light is on, I ran the DTC and it showed 3 codes E013H, E044H, E046C. According to what I can tell "H"=History, "C"=Current.
Need help understanding E046C, "Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference" according to the info I have.

·
Registered
2006 STS V
81 Posts
According to my manual the E046 is related to the fuel injectors as you suspect.

"The PCM controls right bank fueling based on the right side oxygen sensor and left bank fueling based on the left side oxygen sensor. Code E046 sets when the left bank fueling differs (richer or leaner) than right bank fueling.
Left bank fuel control block learn values differ from right bank fuel control block learn values by more than 15 counts for 10 minutes."

The likely causes listed are:

1. Lean or faulty injectors on one side of the engine.
2. Cracked or fouled spark plugs.
3. Exhaust or intake manifold leak.

You can select PCM data ED04, warm the engine fully and run at 1200-2000 for 2 minutes. Then look at the "auto" light on the climate control. If not lit replace right O2 sensor. If lit select PCM data ED35, check the display and if the reading is 0-2, there is a problem or short in the O2 circuit. If the reading is 3 or greater, you should check the ignition secondary, power balance, and pressure and injector flow (in that order).

You will probably need a service manual or Alldata subscription to run all these tests.

Contamination of the O2 sensor can cause this error. I suspect this may be your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ipncjh1 said:
According to my manual the E046 is related to the fuel injectors as you suspect.

"The PCM controls right bank fueling based on the right side oxygen sensor and left bank fueling based on the left side oxygen sensor. Code E046 sets when the left bank fueling differs (richer or leaner) than right bank fueling.
Left bank fuel control block learn values differ from right bank fuel control block learn values by more than 15 counts for 10 minutes."

The likely causes listed are:

1. Lean or faulty injectors on one side of the engine.
2. Cracked or fouled spark plugs.
3. Exhaust or intake manifold leak.

You can select PCM data ED04, warm the engine fully and run at 1200-2000 for 2 minutes. Then look at the "auto" light on the climate control. If not lit replace right O2 sensor. If lit select PCM data ED35, check the display and if the reading is 0-2, there is a problem or short in the O2 circuit. If the reading is 3 or greater, you should check the ignition secondary, power balance, and pressure and injector flow (in that order).

You will probably need a service manual or Alldata subscription to run all these tests.

Contamination of the O2 sensor can cause this error. I suspect this may be your problem. Good luck!
Changed out both O2 sensors and will clear codes today.
Really appreciate the help!!!
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts