Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both driver and passenger seat tilt adjustments will only stay in one position...about 60 degrees........no spring return and no intermediate positions are possible. Motor driven seat positions both work satisfactorily.

Any suggestions of how to trouble shoot and/or repair?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ed Delaney said:
Both driver and passenger seat tilt adjustments will only stay in one position...about 60 degrees........no spring return and no intermediate positions are possible. Motor driven seat positions both work satisfactorily.

Any suggestions of how to trouble shoot and/or repair?
I have that problem with the driver's seat in my 92. From what I read it's similar to an airline seat. Supposedly the seat handle is kind of like a hydraulic valve handle, and there wouldn't be any springs involved. I'm trying to get a dealership shop manual and if no-one comes up with an answer before that, I'll tell you what the book says.
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bob2231 said:
I have that problem with the driver's seat in my 92. From what I read it's similar to an airline seat. Supposedly the seat handle is kind of like a hydraulic valve handle, and there wouldn't be any springs involved. I'm trying to get a dealership shop manual and if no-one comes up with an answer before that, I'll tell you what the book says.
Bob
Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm waiting for 2 manuals to arrive by UPS and will let you know if I learn anything of interest. Looks like removing the seat is probably the next move........
Ed

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ed Delaney said:
Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm waiting for 2 manuals to arrive by UPS and will let you know if I learn anything of interest. Looks like removing the seat is probably the next move........
Ed
Unfortunately, I think you're right about removing the seat. I'm waiting til I have a book though, because these are more complicated than any I've removed before and I'd really hate to screw up something else. would hope the dealership service manuals would help though.
We'll see. And hope a lot.
Bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ed Delaney said:
Ed
Something unrelated, kind of. Have you checked the local junkyards in your area for Eldorados ? Here in Tampa there are none. Very few Cadillacs of any model in fact. I guess they're too valuable to end up in the boneyard very often.
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, did you ever figure out a fix on the seats? I have a 1992 El Dorado, with 26k original miles and as of yesterday both seats are failing to stay upright. I had a similar problem in my 1989 Coupe de Ville, but it never got this bad. I bought the car 6 years ago with 2500 miles on it. I have made the seat stay up by 'playing' with the lever on the side, 'pumping' it with the seat forced forward. but that no longer works. I can't find anything on repairing it online, in Mitchells on Demand or Chilton. Any help would be great. Chris

·
Registered
520 Posts
kca43 said:
Hi, did you ever figure out a fix on the seats? I have a 1992 El Dorado, with 26k original miles and as of yesterday both seats are failing to stay upright. I had a similar problem in my 1989 Coupe de Ville, but it never got this bad. I bought the car 6 years ago with 2500 miles on it. I have made the seat stay up by 'playing' with the lever on the side, 'pumping' it with the seat forced forward. but that no longer works. I can't find anything on repairing it online, in Mitchells on Demand or Chilton. Any help would be great. Chris
Hi Chris
I'm waiting for a book for my car, probably next week. I'll let you know what I find.
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fianally figured out a solution to the seat recliner problem. If I can figure out how to attach some jpg files to this, I'll explain what happened. If I had your email address I can send more details.......Ed

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ed Delaney said:
Fianally figured out a solution to the seat recliner problem. If I can figure out how to attach some jpg files to this, I'll explain what happened. If I had your email address I can send more details.......Ed
[email protected]
Thanks Ed, it's kind of annoying not being able to change the angle.
Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ed Delaney said:
If you have a solution other than replacing the pneumatic struts I would also be interested. You can forward it to [email protected].

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts