Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I really need to replace my water pump this weekend and would appreciate any insight on this soon... housing is not cracked or anything, it's leaking consistently all round the mounting flange. When I flushed coolant this summer I didn't bother to put in the sealant tab; could this have caused this? If so, can I put one in now and will it stop the leak? If I really have to replace the pump, then how hard is this job? It looks like all the mounting bolts may be accessable; how many things do I have to take out to gain access to everything? I guess I'd first get the belt off, unbolt the pulley from the pump and undo the pump mounting bolts (as many as I can find). Is this all there is to it? If there is someone who did this repair before, please help me out! I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
raise the vehical an take off the passenger tire and the splash shield. gives u a lil more room to work with. and of course draing the coolonmg system.

FSM says tighten to specs which are -
- TORX SCREWS(4) to 30 FT. lbs
- NUTS(7) to 5 FT. lbs
- STUD(1) to 30 FT. lbs
- HEX SCREWS(7) to 5 ft lbs
- Coolant pump puley bolts to 30N*m not sure about wat the FT. lbs is. Also says to use the drag of the drive belt. and if u need more apply a tension with the tensioner. Also u MUST use those tablets. Cuz of the aluminum its key.

·
Registered
44 Posts
how often should you put in the sealer? I just replaced my radiator. I havent seen any leaks, but im getting worried now. Should i put some in?

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
If it's been a loooong time since that water pump has been replaced, I'd do it soon. You never know when the seal will just completely fail, causing your engine to overheat and die.

That happened to me on my 85 Deville. I blew off maintenance even though it was seeping. Then one day, it just let go and the engine overheated and that was the end of that engine.

Would sealant tabs have prevented the leak? Dunno. The leak is big enough now that I wouldn't try to fix it with sealant tabs - get the pump replaced.

Is the pump original? If so, DO IT. Don't even think about trying to cheap out of this one with a $5 fix.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
caddyfanatic2 said:
how often should you put in the sealer? I just replaced my radiator. I havent seen any leaks, but im getting worried now. Should i put some in?
Do it when you change the coolant. Since you just replaced your radiator, I'd put the tabs in now.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Yes, but they are the same as Barsleaks tabs (HDC) or the powdered version (G12BP) that you can pick up at any parts store including Walmart. That said, GM stopped using them and I would not recommend them unless you have a small, hard to get at leak. They tend to clog heater cores.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts