Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "new" 92 Cadillac Deville that I just purchased with 118,000 miles on it. I just completed a full maintenance on the car replacing air, fuel, oil, gas filters, changed all fluids, replaced the spark plugs, distributor, plugs, wires, pcv etc.

The car runs pretty well and the gas mileage is decent (approx 21mpg city) it just seems to "surge" when at a stop and stalls occasionally. Any help would be appreciated. No diagnostic codes from the computer.:histeric:

All the gadgets work and it is a great car. It will be perfect if I can fix this.

·
Registered
87 brougham,2001 deville
37 Posts
Just had a similar situation with my 01 deville. I had codes though. I changed the fuel filter and the idle control module. Also did a search on stalling and a gunky throttle body will also cause the vehicle to stall.So I got a can of Seafoam cleaner and got all the gunk out of the TB and she hasn't shut off or stalled since. Just my .2! Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
As crimson_tide mentioned changing the isc(idle speed control)motor should solve the problem. Changing the fuel filter and cleaning the TB can't hurt things either. Good Luck and congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fladevilleguy said:
I have a "new" 92 Cadillac Deville that I just purchased with 118,000 miles on it. I just completed a full maintenance on the car replacing air, fuel, oil, gas filters, changed all fluids, replaced the spark plugs, distributor, plugs, wires, pcv etc.

The car runs pretty well and the gas mileage is decent (approx 21mpg city) it just seems to "surge" when at a stop and stalls occasionally. Any help would be appreciated. No diagnostic codes from the computer.:histeric:

All the gadgets work and it is a great car. It will be perfect if I can fix this.

I've have a similar problem when sitting at the lights it would idle rough and shake a fair amount, sometimes also bogging out on acceleration to the point where you could barely pull itself. After changing many of the parts that have been listed, I found the problem was GROUND. Try putting the car in reverse with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. I found that it would not bog out in reverse and would not idle rough when sitting on the spot in reverse. I ended up changing the front motor mount. It seemed that in drive and on acceleration, ground would be lost because the motor would lift on the motor mount and lose ground. Being an aluminum block, it seems to be pickier about ground. I also added a ground strap to the sub frame from the stud in the motor that the battery ground is attached to. Before adding the ground strap, remove the stud in the block and clean the threads and bolt face to ensure a good ground before putting the stud back in the block. I also added a ground to the transmission from this point and so far this seems to have cured the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
caddy_guy said:
I've have a similar problem when sitting at the lights it would idle rough and shake a fair amount, sometimes also bogging out on acceleration to the point where you could barely pull itself. After changing many of the parts that have been listed, I found the problem was GROUND. Try putting the car in reverse with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. I found that it would not bog out in reverse and would not idle rough when sitting on the spot in reverse. I ended up changing the front motor mount. It seemed that in drive and on acceleration, ground would be lost because the motor would lift on the motor mount and lose ground. Being an aluminum block, it seems to be pickier about ground. I also added a ground strap to the sub frame from the stud in the motor that the battery ground is attached to. Before adding the ground strap, remove the stud in the block and clean the threads and bolt face to ensure a good ground before putting the stud back in the block. I also added a ground to the transmission from this point and so far this seems to have cured the problem.
caddy_guy

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank everybody for the help, I cleaned the TB, changed the ISC, and added a new ground and the stalling has stopped. The car still surges at a stop but no longer stalls and my lights are about twice as bright. Go figure.

Once again thanks for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts