Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Ive always wanted a Cadillac, and I dont mean the sporty kind they make now; I mean the large, uncompromised ride quality kind of caddy (where they say to hell with handling, just gimme a smooth ride). Anyway, I needed another winter car because I stored my car, and I starting looking at Caddies; I was expecting just to get something decent that looked and ran ok. I ended up with a 92 DeVille that looks GORGEOUS!! The exterior looks almost new and the interior is great as well. It has 125,000 on it, but I only drive it a few months so its ok (it runs really nice though). Here is where I need everyones help: Ive nevr owned a Caddy, and have alot of questions. Sice I was so surprised by how nice this car was, I want to go all out now and keep it looking and running absolutely perfect. My first instinct is to change the fluids (tranny, coolant, oil), but should I change the p steering and brake fluid too? Also, should I get new plugs for it? Im gonna change the air filter, but what about pcv valve, etc?
Second, I noticed that sme of these caddies as they get older get a saggy rear end sort of look. I dont get that because its supposed to be air leveled, right? Anyway, how do I prevent that from happening (Im guessing it must be shocks or struts, so should I replace these too or just have em checked)?
Another thing, I notice the car can get A LITTLE loud when I accelerate (not really a normal engine growl, but not really that bad like a peice of junk). Could that just be from the higher mileage engine and theres nothing I can do? Apparently the exhaust is new from the muffler back.
Also, it says I should use 10W30 oil. Should I use that considering that mileage and the fact that Buffalo winters get frigid at times?
Last of all, there is zero rust on the entire car EXCEPT a spot on the driver side door jamb (not on the door, on the actualy car when u open the door and reveal the bottom part where some people tap their feet to remove snow or stuff from their shoes before they get it). Normally, I would worry about it, but the car is so perfect otherwise, I really wanna get rid of it, and I CERTAINLY dont want it to spread (I know rust can spread like wildfire once it starts). What do you recommend I do? This really bothers me because I dont want the car to rust at all, and Im really hoping there is something I can do!
Oh ya, when Im driving, I feel a slight shimmy of the steering wheel at high speeds (and even lower ones sometimes). The alignment seems good, but the wheel tends to shimmy a bit - its not that bad, not visual, but you can feel it a bit. Is this normal for an older car?
I guess I just want all the advice you guys can give me to keep this car looking and running its best. Is there some sort of maintenance schedule I can get - it didnt come with my drivers manual? Thanks for the patience, Im excited about my first Caddy!

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
Well, Ive always wanted a Cadillac, and I dont mean the sporty kind they make now; I mean the large, uncompromised ride quality kind of caddy (where they say to hell with handling, just gimme a smooth ride). Anyway, I needed another winter car because I stored my car, and I starting looking at Caddies - I was expecting just to get something decent that looked and ran OK. I ended up with a 92 DeVille that looks GORGEOUS!! The exterior looks almost new and the interior is great as well. It has 125,000 on it, but I only drive it a few months so its ok (it runs really nice though).
Sounds nice - what color is it? BTW you definitely sound like CadillacForums material already! :D
Here is where I need everyones help: I've never owned a Caddy, and have a lot of questions. Sice I was so surprised by how nice this car was, I want to go all out now and keep it looking and running absolutely perfect. My first instinct is to change the fluids (tranny, coolant, oil), but should I change the p steering and brake fluid too?
Do you have any maintenance records? If not, I'd recommend an engine flush (with the Bilstein machine), trans fluid and filter, and coolant flush. And yes, change the power steering fluid and flush the brake lines as well.
Also, should I get new plugs for it? Im gonna change the air filter, but what about pcv valve, etc?
Yes, unless you know they've been done already I would change the plugs and wires, and the pcv valve, air filter, and fuel filter. You might also consider the injector cleaner service.
Second, I noticed that some of these caddies as they get older get a saggy rear end sort of look. I dont get that because its supposed to be air leveled, right? Anyway, how do I prevent that from happening (Im guessing it must be shocks or struts, so should I replace these too or just have em checked)?
These are very expensive to replace - check for leaks and for correct ride height (you probably want to try and find the factory service manual) but don't replace anything you don't have to.
Another thing, I notice the car can get A LITTLE loud when I accelerate (not really a normal engine growl, but not really that bad like a peice of junk).Could that just be from the higher mileage engine and theres nothing I can do? Apparently the exhaust is new from the muffler back.
Sure sounds like an exhaust leak. If the exhaust system is tight from the muffler back you may have a leak in the exhaust manifolds or cats. You need to hunt this down...
Also, it says I should use 10W30 oil. Should I use that considering that mileage and the fact that Buffalo winters get frigid at times?
Personally, I'd go with the factory recommended oil viscosity but switch to Mobil One. For one thing the Mobil One is far superior at very low temperatures - flows much better.
Last of all, there is zero rust on the entire car EXCEPT a spot on the driver side door jamb (not on the door, on the actualy car when u open the door and reveal the bottom part where some people tap their feet to remove snow or stuff from their shoes before they get it). Normally, I would worry about it, but the car is so perfect otherwise, I really wanna get rid of it, and I CERTAINLY dont want it to spread (I know rust can spread like wildfire once it starts). What do you recommend I do? This really bothers me because I dont want the car to rust at all, and Im really hoping there is something I can do!
I'm gonna pass on this one for now... :D
Oh ya, when Im driving, I feel a slight shimmy of the steering wheel at high speeds (and even lower ones sometimes). The alignment seems good, but the wheel tends to shimmy a bit - its not that bad, not visual, but you can feel it a bit. Is this normal for an older car?
Sounds like a wheel balance issue. Check out some of the Threads here about the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balance machine. This gives a much better balance as well as checks the wheels and tires for problems.
I guess I just want all the advice you guys can give me to keep this car looking and running its best. Is there some sort of maintenance schedule I can get - it didnt come with my drivers manual? Thanks for the patience, Im excited about my first Caddy!
Anyone know that the recommended maintenance intervals for this car is?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot; do you suggest having a caddy dealer do all of this service (fluids, etc)? oh, and by the way, what is a Bilstein machine? Who would have this and where can I get this engine flush? And this Hunter 9700 machine, where can I find one? I was thinking a shimmy can be from worn out suspenison components, but maybe it is the balance. Also, I ran some fuel injector cleaner thru this tank of gas, should I bother getting the professional service if my mpg turn out to be pretty good? Lots of stuff here, I know, but like I said, my first Caddy, and I was so pleasantly surprised that I want to take care of her and make her perfect! Anyone know where I can find the maintanance schedule for this car? And oh ya, the rust thing - if someone wants to help me out Id love it!

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Click this link for information on the Bilstein R-2000 Engine Flush machine. Click this link for information on the Hunter GSP9700 Wheel Balancer. Both web sites have links to find the nearest shop with these machines (my local Cadillac Dealer has both). As far as the front end goes - sure, it could be worn suspension or steering components but I would expect this to cause alignment issues. Personally, I'd get the wheels done on the Hunter machine and have an alignment done at the same time - a competent shop will most likely find the cause of your problem in the course of performing these services. And the injector service that the dealer does is way better than the stuff you pour into your gas tank FWIW.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks so much. One more question, how do I know if I need an engine flush? I mean, I want to keep the car perfect, but I dont want to do unnecessary things (dont want to waste $$ and doing unnecessary stuff is sometimes counter productive). I just want to make sure it'll be good for my car, and oh ya, how much does it cost?

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
IMO the engine flush should be done every 25,000 - 50,000 miles (depending on how compulsive you are :D ). I just paid $99 for it a couple of months ago at my local Cadillac dealer - you may be able to find it for less elsewhere. I can feel the difference after it's done - engine runs smoother...

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
what does the engine flush do?

maybe I will make it part of my "coming up Spring huge plans for car" thing....

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If you don't know the history on it change the plugs, filters, etc...PCV valves are usually cheap. I'd stick with regular oil myself, that's all we ever use in our cars. And at 125,000mi it's already getting up there. Synthetic oil also likes to leak more then regular oil, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't so you're never going to get a sure answer on it. For the rust spot sand it off and touch it up yourself. You could also get a body shop to fix it. It's your winter car so it's going to eventually start getting rust in other areas anyway.

That does sound like a wheel balance problem. I wouldn't be too worried about finding any specific machine to get the wheels balanced on. Any one will do a decent job and if the person doing it knows what they're doing at all they should be able to visually see if there's anything wrong with the wheel or tire. If you know a good local garage use them for getting all this work done. You'll usually also get better prices there then at the dealer and I've always found they're better to deal with.

Check ebay for the owners manual and even the service manual. They're on there all the time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just an update, I got my wheels balanced and rotated today; the shimmy is gone now, it rides really nice. For some reason, now that I got that done, Im noticing the car pulls to one side; it rides great now, but I still think I need an alignment (kinda weird, it wasnt pulling before). Keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
149 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
just an update, I got my wheels balanced and rotated today; the shimmy is gone now, it rides really nice. For some reason, now that I got that done, Im noticing the car pulls to one side; it rides great now, but I still think I need an alignment (kinda weird, it wasnt pulling before). Keep the advice coming!

Man I had owned a 1991 cadillac deville baby blue with gray 2 tone. I love this car to death. It had 112,000 on it when I first bought it. And had 180,000 when I had an accident with it and now it is done. R.I.P. I love that car. Didnt really have any problems with it except that I neeed to replace the power steering pump once, and get a wheel bearing in all of 3 years. She is a great car and will be forever missed by me. I now own a 1997 cadillac deville concours. But the seats arent as comfortable to me as my 1991 was. Maybe I was too attatched to that car. Yours has a 4.9 in it right? great strong engines! This was my first caddy and I will forever love it. Congradulations on your purchase and welcome to the forums!

psttttttt and put some wires on it ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, Cadillac6, what do you mean by wires, just new spark plug wires? By the way guys, I just spoke to a buddy who is gonna help me do the plugs (I have no tools). He said check to see if the engine is side mounted, because if it is, its a bitch to do the plugs, and I shouldnt even try (Im not experienced at all as a mechanic, lol) - he said he learned the hard way on his 3.8 V6. He also said that I should just have the fuel filter changed by someone because its a messy job and not that expensive; and he said hes not even sure how to do the pcv valve, so get that done too. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yes, your engine is sideways, all FWD cars are....and yes the rear spark plugs are a bitch to get at

the PCV valve IIRC is inder the palstic cover on the right of the front bank of fuel rails....

·
Registered
149 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
Hey, Cadillac6, what do you mean by wires, just new spark plug wires? By the way guys, I just spoke to a buddy who is gonna help me do the plugs (I have no tools). He said check to see if the engine is side mounted, because if it is, its a bitch to do the plugs, and I shouldnt even try (Im not experienced at all as a mechanic, lol) - he said he learned the hard way on his 3.8 V6. He also said that I should just have the fuel filter changed by someone because its a messy job and not that expensive; and he said hes not even sure how to do the pcv valve, so get that done too. what do you guys think?

LMAO :histeric: I mean WIRE WHEELS! lol I had some on my 91 deville and I was featured in LRM (lowrider magazine). I post some pics on my site to show you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts