Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 deville
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car starts then dies,starts and die. Then starts and run just fine. I had the map sensor changed,full tune up,fuel pump and filter. Its been to three shops,but won't do it there. What should i do before i set her on FIRE??? Please,please help with this... no codes or lights on

·
Registered
92 deville
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a few seconds then dies, starts right back up may run fine then or die. She runs great when i get her to act right!

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
You can use your OBD to run some tests but the first thing on the list is to check your fuel pressure, it may be border line not quite strong enough to sustain a long ride.

·
Registered
92 deville
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was done tuesday and the fuel pump was replaced. I got it home and the same thing happen again. Call the shop and told them, said to bring it back in. I'm taking it friday morning. I got a E31 code this morning (map sensor) which was also changed out tuesday.... So could that be a bad sensor that i got?

·
Registered
92 deville
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was done tuesday and the fuel pump was replaced. I got it home and the same thing happen again. Call the shop and told them, said to bring it back in. I'm taking it friday morning. I got a E31 code this morning (map sensor) which was also changed out tuesday.... So could that be a bad sensor that i got?
Oh if this helps all this started when my alternator went out and i changed it...

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
With all that R&R, I suspect something didn't get hooked up correctly.

code e31 means "shorted map sensor signal". that could be happening because of the wiring, not necessarily the map sensor itself. Focus on the wiring connector to the map sensor. You can visually inspect it up close to see if maybe the insulation has cracked off and the wires are shorting there. If nothing is apparent then a VOM and some basic electronic knowledge is needed for further testing.
I'd check the fuel pressure again too. Not that your mechanic didn't do it but I'd love to know what the fuel pressure actually is on your car. 45-50psi is what it should be. If it is less than that with a new fuel pump in there the problem is possibly the Fuel pressure Regulator itself.

Also, check the connections at your new Alternator to be sure they are truly clean and tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts