Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,992 Posts
Can anyone give me some guidance on where the drain tube or hole is located on a 1992 Cadillac DeVille.
=====================
there are several possibilities - sunroof - trunk - AC evaporator tray -

I assume you mean the AC evaporator tray -
it's about where the passenger's feet would be
you have to be under the car to see it -

#21 in this parts blowup -
White Black Organism Font Line

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately mine doesn't have one there. Doesn't have a hole doesn't have a tube nothing it seems to be a metal cover plate that's right above the oxygen sensor area other than that the whole area is solid. Nor does my air conditioning system look anything like that

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
=============
the pic was to illustrate the approximate location of the drain tube #21
Awesome I appreciate all the help maybe mine was just one they didn't put a drain tube in it appears that there is a molding mark for a drain tube but it has not been drilled and there's no tube installed

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
8,062 Posts
If there was never a drain the car Interior would have flooded from the start. Somebody will chime in with a location.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac deville
13 Posts
If there was never a drain the car Interior would have flooded from the start. Somebody will chime in with a location.
That's what I would have thought. I know they have that deal where they run on afterwards to keep mold down. But it's got to be located somewhere I just can't find it and it doesn't appear that there's any holes in the location on the diagram

you may be able to tell where it is by looking at the interior evaporator case , might be a dimple where the drain is
On the area where the diagram listed above shows a drain tube on my firewall there is a metal plate with two screws in it it is Factory I'm wondering if it's covering the outlet

you may be able to tell where it is by looking at the interior evaporator case , might be a dimple where the drain is
I'll have to get it up on ramps and crawl under it to see if I can find anything I want to make sure it's clear and free from debris before I have the air conditioning fixed and I end up with a mold problem

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
8,062 Posts
The metal plate may actually cover the opening even... Can't remember what car it was but it wasn't a tube just a cutout and had a plate over it and open on bottom.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The metal plate may actually cover the opening even... Can't remember what car it was but it wasn't a tube just a cutout and had a plate over it and open on bottom.
I think we've got it figured out I took a good look at that cover plate the best I could from the top side of the engine and it appears to be much like an evaporator tray for a refrigerator. It's right above the junction point for the exhaust so that would make sense it would help to disperse or evaporate the condensation and you really couldn't have a hose there it would probably melt. In the center of the tray it kicks out just a little bit and has a small for better lack of terms opening slot toward the top definitely looks like an evaporator trade. It's a 1992 I'm the second owner. 53,000
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that's a very nice car, congrats.
It was purchased new by a local farmer from a dealership that has long been gone. Of course it had a few minor problems. Fievel made a nest in the engine compartment chewed a couple wires luckily only a couple. Trunk pull down motor had to be replaced, luckily most GM pulldown Motors are all the same. Coolant fluid flush, oil change transmission fluid change. Did a rotor, cap, ignition module plugs. Shortly after I got it the heater control module fried and the fan stayed continuously running that wasn't a bad fix either. I did have the AC deleted for now due to the AC clutch locking up and nearly Catching Fire. Going to have the AC system fixed next month. I really don't care too much for the red interior but it's super nice inside never smoked in and well taken care of. I really don't care for the rims on it, I definitely need some wire rims or hubcap setup and white walls. Nothing crazy big or gaudy, just factory size

·
2001 Deville
04 Deville
119 Posts
sounds like the compressor may have grenaded. if it did be prepared to replace a lot more of the system than the compressor. flushing will NOT remove the debris from the system from a failed compressor

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sounds like the compressor may have grenaded. if it did be prepared to replace a lot more of the system than the compressor. flushing will NOT remove the debris from the system from a failed compressor
The car set parked for almost 15 years inside a garage. The compressor kicked in and out multiple times when it was charged. The metal ring on front of the rubber clutch piece separated and the rubber was smoking I believe the compressor was locking up and eventually just went the wayside. When it was converted I don't believe it was oil charged and the refrigerant was added it worked for a few minutes but then it locked up. It should have just been changed before the system was converted. We'll see

·
2001 Deville
04 Deville
119 Posts
back in the day of r12 to r134 conversions a lot of the time ppl just changed the fittings and pumped in the 134. 134 requires PAG oil and 12 used something else, mlneral oil if I remember correctly. most of the time that would work but I'm sure there were many failed compressors because they didn't add the right oil. there is really no way to change the oil but I always added some PAG before charging. when you get into fixing it pull the orifice tube and see how much debris is there, if there's any you should replace the condensor and accumulator and flush the lines, add a filter to the low side at the compressor and cross your fingers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts