Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, long time reader, first time poster!

I recently got a 92 cadillac brougham (5.0) a few months back (all white, looks great, just bah keeping it clean, wish those birds would go away!) , everything has been good (with the exception of the brake line breaking, lucky it was @ the inspection center and not on the highway, guy wanted like $300 to fix it, ripoff got it fixed for 90, namely I dont have a lift etc to get under the car)

Anywho, its got a few 'issues' so to speak, few spots here and there (scratches) , and it could use a new roof (the vynil is cracked in many spots)... not to mention when the guy rear-ended me, lucky no damage besides some scratches and a quarter sized ding on the chrome bumper...

Anywho again (getting off track) for the winter gonna stick some new tires on her, would like to get a new paintjob in time, also a new roof, and an alarm system... I dont have a crazy amount of $$ to spend (im a student), but does anyone have any reccomendations? Pretty sure im gonna order the tires online, (cheaper and better than the local shops) A friend has an autobody shop, prob go there for paint and to fix a few rust spots (2 spots on the inside of the drivers side door.... However Im looking for a decent alarm that wont run me $200+, but that would get the job done..

Also, my drivers side door 'sticks' , and at times the button to open the door dies, just nothing behind it... I know how to fix it, and it works fine, but looking for a more permanent fix!

Know that was alot.. but hopefully someone could help!

Thanks
CJ

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Pep Boys has (well, used to have at least) some decent tires. Sets of 4 for $200, etc. I have had the 70000 mile tires and the 80000 mile tires. Both I liked, very quiet (important to me) and excellent rain tread (VERY important to me). I perfer a stiffer sidewall, but that I didn't get. At least it isn't as soft as Goodyear, which is my least favorite tire company, due to wimpy weak, ready to blow at any second sidewall tires. The tires are under the "Futura" name, which is made by Cooper tires. They are excellent quality and excellent price. For smaller sizes, they aren't a good price, but for larger cars like ours, they are a great deal. BUT, whitewalls are dissappearing from our tire sizes rapidly.

I did pickup some Firestone (not winterfire) Snow tires for $40 each at Tirerack.com. Good price for P225 70 R15. They were slick tires for handling for the first 1000 miles, but got good after that. It is a tall tread, so the tread seems to move around alot.

Not sure on alarm, mine has factory one, so I haven't worried about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh yes, I did look at pep boys, but for the price I was looking at the yokohama aegis LS4 , over @ tirerack, seem good w/ good snow handling for the price. (namely I dont wanna have to swap out my tires all the time, I know i should, just dont have the $$ for it)

Yeah, Im just looking for an alarm, all the fun stuff, remote start etc (gets cold, well you would know!) and cold leather, though waking you up in the morning ,isnt always great ;)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
We just went with the Kumho Touring A/S 795 whitewall in July, after one of the old Atlas Pinnacle's that were on the car when we bought it exploded. At first, I was under the impression that Yokohama's would probably be one of the best, since I knew they had a pretty good reputation and also made whitewalls in the right size for the FW, but changed my mind after reading reviews on TireRack.

Between the Avid Touring and the Aegis LS4, the reviews were good from a driving standpoint, but it seemed weird to me that quite a few actually mentioned the sidewalls being fairly weak and having blow outs after hitting potholes, large bumps, etc.

Kept looking and reading reviews, and finally decided to buy the Kumho's. Not only were they the cheapest, but they actually seemed to have the most glowing reviews of any other tire I had researched, plus were a 70k mile one. Got them through our local tire shop instead, because it was cheaper to get everything dismounted/mounted/balanced in one place close to home and LOVE them. They totally transformed the car. Probably the smoothest, quietest, and crispest handling treads we've ever had on any car. First time driving in the rain with them shocked me, as it was the first time I was able to pull from a stop and not have the rear tires slip and the T/C come on even once. So far, they're wearing amazing well too, and still have the little nubs on them after almost 2,500 miles.

My father's Roadmaster had a new set of Cornell 535's (Pep Boy's specials) on it when he got it, and while not bad, they seem to be wearing down very quickly and even look slightly dry rotted in spots already, even though the car has, maybe, seen a total of 5k miles in the past 2 and a half years. Granted, they're cheap, but for what we paid for the Kumho's, not worth it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
nodih, u r definitly right about whitewalls disappearing from our size tire. I had already posted about this, but im even considering vogue tires. i want a decent size whitewall. anybody ever seen 40's gangster style whitewalls on our cars.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
89fatb said:
nodih, u r definitly right about whitewalls disappearing from our size tire. I had already posted about this, but im even considering vogue tires. i want a decent size whitewall. anybody ever seen 40's gangster style whitewalls on our cars.
Vogues actually do look quite good on a car like the Fleetwood/Brougham, but I think I'd still go with something of higher quality and performance plus a lower cost over them. I've also seen a few that had wider than normal whitewalls that looked pretty cool, but they're hard to find too.

As is, I'm VERY satisfied with the Kumho's and their normal .5" whitewall on my car--retain the same O.E. looks but have a much better performing tire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
caddycruiser said:
Vogues actually do look quite good on a car like the Fleetwood/Brougham, but I think I'd still go with something of higher quality and performance plus a lower cost over them. I've also seen a few that had wider than normal whitewalls that looked pretty cool, but they're hard to find too.

As is, I'm VERY satisfied with the Kumho's and their normal .5" whitewall on my car--retain the same O.E. looks but have a much better performing tire.
Yeah, my first thought when I first got the car was for the Kuhmo's , but couldnt find them anywhere (cept one shop, and they wanted near $100 per tire).. and the Vogues are nice, my mechanic put em on a newer cadillac, they looked great, had the whitewall then the yellow strip around as well, looked great, but I couldnt find them!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think they were standard, namely it = not in mine (the original owner got all the other goodies, couldnt afford an alarm? bah!)

I thought about installing a factory alarm, but imho there usually no good when it comes to 'extra features' etc.. jst usually a door lock/unlock = thats it (dont quote me tho!

·
Registered
643 Posts
CJPC said:
I dont think they were standard, namely it = not in mine (the original owner got all the other goodies, couldnt afford an alarm? bah!)

I thought about installing a factory alarm, but imho there usually no good when it comes to 'extra features' etc.. jst usually a door lock/unlock = thats it (dont quote me tho!
My 87 Brougham was broken into and they tried to steal it. Luckily I have the habit of locking the steering wheel when I get out. They could only drive it forward and backwards and could only turn the wheel a few degrees. A few things you can do which helps it to scratch the VIN # to the Windshield.

I know my dad's 90 Fleetwood has a chip in the key so if the car is started without the right key in the ignition, it locks the car and the engine shuts down. Or something like that.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
CJPC said:

Haha, yeah. Kind of like my '93. The owner went to all the trouble of specially ordering it as late as possible in the '93 model year and got the Brougham package, the overhead garage door opener buttons, and even had a small gold plaque with his named carved on it put on the dash, but never ordered Keyless Entry. But he was quite old, I believe, and maybe was like my father "I don't want to carry around a remote--that's what a key is for."

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I have Wintertrack or Winter Mark tires on the back of the car that I use in the winter. I don't remember which one it is but it's Winter something and I got them at Wal Mart. They work good and they're white walls.

No the alarm isn't standard. If you have it you will have stickers on the back windows for it unless someone took them off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
caddieboy said:
I know my dad's 90 Fleetwood has a chip in the key so if the car is started without the right key in the ignition, it locks the car and the engine shuts down. Or something like that.

Yeah the VATS keys or whatever, but some resistors from RS and pop, your in (they even have the autoroll keys, so you could stick in a blakn w/ the right combo, and just duck under the dash)

Yeah, Im thinking about getting the kuhmos, did some searchin, tirerack dont have em in my size, looked @ tiresavings (???) reviews are OK, but they = in NY, and im in MA , so I'd get em quick!

(also would save near 100 in the long run vs the yokohamas, enough $$ to buy a nice alarm!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
CJPC