Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Triple Yellow 88 Biarritz, 92 Allante, 05 STS
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some back info, I bought this car last Oct with a current E041. I replaced cam sensor with a borg warner, ran fine for 3 days, the e041 came back-ran bad, replaced cam sensor again, in about a week the e041 came back-ran bad. Replaced entire dist. with a new one, ran perfect for 1.5 months, then it sat in garage for 2 weeks, went to start it up and bam, running a little rough and a current E041 again. It mostly runs ok this time with a current E041, when the light is not on however, it runs awful, when driving the light will go on and off, but 95% of the time the ck engine light is on. I replaced ECM with a reman one and no difference. Thinking of trying an AC Delco hall effect switch, any other ideas? no other codes either.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
You have done everything I would have done so I can't add anything. You said it runs awful when the the check engine light is not on? That is odd. I hope the new Hall effect switch fixes it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the few times the ck engine light is not on it stumbles and runs awful, will sometimes run bad with light on and sometimes run ok, when the car is driven daily its better, but with winter it sometimes sits in garage for a week or longer. I usually can figure out most problems, but this one is above my head, it's starting to stumble sometimes now and the ck engine light was constant today. I discussed this with my mechanic who takes care of stuff that is above my and my mechanic friends head. He is sorta difficult to talk to, but he said not to replace the cam sensor without testing the wires first, I will let him do this when he can schedule me in. Is there a mechanical and not an electrical problem that could cause this? timing? camshaft? it's weird as sometimes it will run great, tons of power. we had the oil pan off and it's very clean no sludge on the 70k mile motor. I will report back when we get it figured out, can't dump the car as I've made it nice!

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I read a GM TSB recently that said GM cars built after 1990 or so may drain the battery if they sit for an extended period of time. It also said letting a car sit for extended periods is not normal use. I am wondering if your battery is getting weak. I trickle charge batteries all the time now because all my cars sit for days at a time and the batteries do get weak.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! Found that the new distributor I got was defective. I returned it and got new one. All is good for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had a similar issue myself, replaced hall effect sensor, distributor ad ecm with no change- ended up finding poor pin fit in the 7 pin distributor connector on the harness side- new connector is obsolete. I hardwired it in, haven't had issues since

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,266 Posts
had a similar issue myself, replaced hall effect sensor, distributor ad ecm with no change- ended up finding poor pin fit in the 7 pin distributor connector on the harness side- new connector is obsolete. I hardwired it in, haven't had issues since
Welcome to the forums!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts