Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 89 Brougham D'elegance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the starter in my 92 deville. It kind of engages and clicks. It sounds to me like it's binding up. I assume I need to shim it. Would I use a standard feeler guage for this? How do I make the starter gear engage the flywheel without turning the key or apply a current to the starter. I know that would not be a good idea. I bought a duralast starter from autozone if that makes any difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Shims are common on some GM cars, like a few Chevys I've had. The Caddy doesn't have access to the starter nose to check the teeth engagement does it? I know mine doesn't. You might pick up a shim kit and try a thin shim to begin with, and see how it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I picked up a GM starter shim set from O'rielly's and I'm going to work on it today. And no, there's no access that I can see on the starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is great! That GM shim pack I bought doesn't fit. It's raining and I have no car.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
I bought a duralast starter from autozone if that makes any difference. Thanks.
Take the starter back to them and throw a full blown tantrum at the top of your lungs in front of as many customers as possible, until they give you a starter that works. This is the second AUTOZONE horror story of the day for me. The other thread was an autozone fuel pump he had to replace after only 6 weeks of operation. These people should be out of business for all the crappy parts they sell to honest law abiding citizens. :rant2:

·
Registered
1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles
273 Posts
The starter should include an information sheet that describes the shimming process and procedure. If memory serves me correctly, shims need to be added to 1 of the mounting bolts, or the other, depending on the sound emitted during starting (i.e. shimming 1 of the bolts moves the starter's nose closer to the ring gear....shimming the other bolt mores the starter's nose away from the ring gear)

·
Registered
91 sedan deville
341 Posts
Your problem is the autozone starter, I had the same problem and replaced it with another starter from autozone. I'll let you in on a little secret. If you need the starter to test out bad take the solenoid apart and remove some parts or cut the wires on the inside. Then put it back together and when the scam artist at autozone try to test it it wont come on therefore it will test bad. Because trust me if you test it the way it is right now, at autozone, I guarantee it will work and they'll make you think there's something wrong with your car. Another important thing is never buy electronic parts from autozone, I guarantee you will be replacing it again and again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
TV should have a new horror series titled "Autozone" - like Twilight only real :food-snacking:

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Quallity remanufactured out of country parts?:rolleyes: Go figure. By the way the problem is'nt limited to just AZ.:eek: Your better off buying GM. It will cost more, but you only have to do the work once.:bouncy:

·
Registered
91 sedan deville
341 Posts
"TV should have a new horror series titled "Autozone" - like Twilight only real" Amencaddy.
Nice I would watch it :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
"TV should have a new horror series titled "Autozone" - like Twilight only real" Amencaddy.
Nice I would watch it :)
i think SciFi came up with it. Did you see the series premiere last night "Warehouse 13"? LOL! I thought they probly have a lot of A-zone parts in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts