Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My 92 Deville is leaking coolant and I cannot tell where it is comming from exactly. I know it is not the water pump. It is to the side of the water pump towards the fire wall and seems to be comming from the upper area of the engine. No hoses that I can see are leaking. I would really like to get this car back on the road. Does this sound like a problem anyone else has had?:(

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Check the waterpump housing bolts. When I bought my '94 Deville, the bolts to the waterpump housing were loose and it was leaking coolant near the area you are describing.
Also check the heater hoses and fitting by the firewall for leaks.

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might be comming from the water pump gasket. At 140,000 mi I am going to put a new pump on as well.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Could be! I kinda assumed the pump had been changed. Be sure to use a AC Delco pump. If you search the forums here, you'll find a lot of complaints about aftermarket pumps lasting only a year or more. So it can be worth it to spring the extra money for a better pump!

·
Registered
4 Posts
92Deville said:
Hi all. My 92 Deville is leaking coolant and I cannot tell where it is comming from exactly. I know it is not the water pump. It is to the side of the water pump towards the fire wall and seems to be comming from the upper area of the engine. No hoses that I can see are leaking. I would really like to get this car back on the road. Does this sound like a problem anyone else has had?:(
I had a problem with disappearing coolant and it ended up being the head gaskets. I had a leak between 5 and 7 although not always consistent. I ran into further problems during changing the head gaskets. Being that the 4.9 has an aluminum block, I had threads come up with the head bolts from the block. The holes in the center area of the block had to have healey coils put in so I could torque then to the specified value. An aluminum block and cast iron heads is not a good mix.

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the coolant leak diagnosed and fixed. It was the timing cover gasket. Had a new water pump put on at the same time. I'm thrilled to have it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Timing cover gasket? :confused: There is no coolant running through the cover. I suspect all you needed was the water pump.

·
Registered
1993 Green Goblin Sedan Deville with the heart of a 91
117 Posts
True about the timming cover gasket, the water pump is attached to the timming cover, but its gasket has nothing to with coolant. There is onething I would like to add, and this is from my own personal experiance changing the waterpump on my 89, GET THE BEST WATERPUMP YOU CAN BECUASE CHANGING THAT WATER PUMP IS A PAIN!

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coolant flows into the water pump and it must flow out. The pump is bolted to the timing cover. On the end of the water pump opposite the pulley (closest to the firewall) there is a water passage in the block. Since the water pump is bolted to the timing cover, there is a hole in the timing cover for coolant to flow from the pump through the hole to this passage. The timing cover gasket seals this passage and keeps coolant from entering the crankcase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts