Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys & gals that own a 91 or newer Caddy and have heat on passengers side and not on drivers side, I found the problem. I have been having the same problem with my 93 deville, and I have been going crazy troubleshooting it. I had done everything imaginable to try to find out what is going on with this cars heat, if you have done it to your car I have already done it. I come to find out today that it was a clogged heater core. Now this one really threw me because both upper and lower hoses were getting hot, but when I actually pulled the programmer and the outside panel off to expose the core, and STARTED the car I found that from the bottom to about 1/4 of the way up was ice cold and the rest was hot. The drivers side, which you usually lose the heat on is heated by the bottom half of the heater core, due to a split level duct system, THERE ARE NO MIX DOORS to control drivers side and passengers side temp untill after 93', so don't waste your time like I did looking for it. Just go right for the heater core. Now my 90 Deville, same car, same body style, but a lot of little changes, has a hollow heater box, no split level, so when the core got clogged on it I just lost heat PERIOD, ( I just discovered that today) So I am going to buy 1 heater core from the Autoparts, and replace it on my 93, once I have the old one out I will look into how hard it will be to un-clog it and let you guys know if it works out. I can predict I will find it more benificial to buy a new one for 36 bucks at Autozone then mess with some old one that has had coolant and other stuff eating away at it for a long long time. Ok, I am off to work, I will let you know how I make out.

JacK

·
Registered
5 Posts
CadillacJack76 said:
For all you guys & gals that own a 91 or newer Caddy and have heat on passengers side and not on drivers side, I found the problem. I have been having the same problem with my 93 deville, and I have been going crazy troubleshooting it. I had done everything imaginable to try to find out what is going on with this cars heat, if you have done it to your car I have already done it. I come to find out today that it was a clogged heater core. Now this one really threw me because both upper and lower hoses were getting hot, but when I actually pulled the programmer and the outside panel off to expose the core, and STARTED the car I found that from the bottom to about 1/4 of the way up was ice cold and the rest was hot. The drivers side, which you usually lose the heat on is heated by the bottom half of the heater core, due to a split level duct system, THERE ARE NO MIX DOORS to control drivers side and passengers side temp untill after 93', so don't waste your time like I did looking for it. Just go right for the heater core. Now my 90 Deville, same car, same body style, but a lot of little changes, has a hollow heater box, no split level, so when the core got clogged on it I just lost heat PERIOD, ( I just discovered that today) So I am going to buy 1 heater core from the Autoparts, and replace it on my 93, once I have the old one out I will look into how hard it will be to un-clog it and let you guys know if it works out. I can predict I will find it more benificial to buy a new one for 36 bucks at Autozone then mess with some old one that has had coolant and other stuff eating away at it for a long long time. Ok, I am off to work, I will let you know how I make out.

JacK
thanks for the info i have the same problem on a 91 deville.going for the core.Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to say thankx for the excellent information! I have been trying to figure out what is going on with my caddie - and 'click' -here you have the answer and the experience. Appreciate the detailed step by step and photo on how to fix this problem. You took this from being a huge headache problem, down to a few hours, and patience, and a simple (inexpensive!!) solution. Thankx! I inherited this beautiful car from my father-in-law before he passed away. It was his pinnacle car. So, the price was right, but I quickly found that repair costs can easily clean out a pocket. Been doing them on my own, just kinda feeling my way along. The info on this site has been most helpful. Before I discovered this site; I replaced the water pump. Man, talk about tight quarters! But it's all good now. After some major turkey eating this weekend, I will be off to replace the heater core. Thankx for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, great advice and instructions of the heater core replacement.

I have a tip that will save a ton of time when performing this job.

The hoses that go into the heater core from the firewall are nearly impossible to access. If you are replacing the original factory installed core, the inlet and outlets are made of plastic. Using a wooden drift and and a sharp tap of a hammer, you can break off the hoses against the firewall and save yourself a ton of time and grief.

When reinstalling the hoses, discard the factory clamps and install aftermarket screw type clamps and tighten them with a long screwdriver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CadillacJack76 said:
Hey Ron, if you need a little ehlp, I built a little website that gives details on how I figured out and fixed the problem with the heat, here is the link

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/jackndelphine/heatercore/

hope that helps, Jack
Cadillac Jack, YOU DA MAN! :worship: No sure how long it took you to solve the problem on your car, but your previous work and passing on the knowledge got mine fixed in about six hours (including the trip to AZ for the core). Apparently they relocated the climate control box between '93 & '95. Mine dropped out of the way nicely with out having to unhook anything. In fact this was the easiest heater core replacement I've ever done.
After seeing how the heater works and the design of the heater core, I'd say this is a common problem. You have had to spent many hours studing this one to figure it out. Whatever and thanks again for the warm feet.
Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
carpaltunl said:
Wow, great advice and instructions of the heater core replacement.

I have a tip that will save a ton of time when performing this job.

The hoses that go into the heater core from the firewall are nearly impossible to access. If you are replacing the original factory installed core, the inlet and outlets are made of plastic. Using a wooden drift and and a sharp tap of a hammer, you can break off the hoses against the firewall and save yourself a ton of time and grief.

When reinstalling the hoses, discard the factory clamps and install aftermarket screw type clamps and tighten them with a long screwdriver.
^^^^ it works.. lol i jsut replaced my heater core tonight and got tired of messing with the clamps (spent about 20 minutes with no luck) so i took a crowbar and a hammer and snapped them right off in no time at all..lol

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Since this seems to be a good thread, I think I will sticky this for easy access....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too suffer from "half-heat" in a 93 Sedan DeVille. A mechanic is replacing the heater core today. He wanted to go poking around, (for $120 an hour!) but this thread is pretty convincing. I'll let you know how it went.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Jack, you rock!!!!! The mechanic said he doubted changing the heater core would solve the half-heat problem, and he had another mechanic back him up on that. (So I was nervous, but I gambled and said just change the heater core) I just got the call, it solved the problem and only cost $250 to fix. Well worth it for heat in Duluth, MN!

·
Registered
06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl
512 Posts
U the man Jack:worship:. I've had my 91 champagne red lac, white leather interior, for two winters now, with half heat!! I just found this website the other day and am grateful. I get my car back tomorrow and cant wait to be warm. I live in ND its -22 below right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats great!! I love to hear about that SOB problem being solved!! Heat is nice.

Glad I could help, Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
ciscokid said:
Just wanted to say thankx for the excellent information! I have been trying to figure out what is going on with my caddie - and 'click' -here you have the answer and the experience. Appreciate the detailed step by step and photo on how to fix this problem. You took this from being a huge headache problem, down to a few hours, and patience, and a simple (inexpensive!!) solution. Thankx! I inherited this beautiful car from my father-in-law before he passed away. It was his pinnacle car. So, the price was right, but I quickly found that repair costs can easily clean out a pocket. Been doing them on my own, just kinda feeling my way along. The info on this site has been most helpful. Before I discovered this site; I replaced the water pump. Man, talk about tight quarters! But it's all good now. After some major turkey eating this weekend, I will be off to replace the heater core. Thankx for the help.
Tight space, boy how right you are. My husband also fixed my heater core for $34 O'Rielyes. It took him hours to find a way to get his big hands in a good position to pull the hoses off. Pain for him but it beats the $400 the local GM service center would have gotten. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I own a 95 Cadillac Sedan Deville, which I have owned for just a little over a year. I was reading about the heating problem. I was wondering if I describe my problem to you, if you believe it is the same thing. I have to put my heater on 90 degrees and it only sends heat out to the foot area, no air comes out from the vents toward the face/body. Do you think it could be a heater core problem? Also, need to replace my A/C compressor again for the third time, any suggestions on why or what I can do about the A/C compressor. Thanks

CadillacJack76 said:

JacK

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you might be releived when I tell you that most Caddy's don't blow heat out of the vents in the dash, just out of the foot vents. I am not too sure about 95, that year might blow heat out of the dash, you would be better off asking another 95 owner in the forum. When you put on the A/C it comes out of the vents on the dash, now correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think yours is supposed to have heat out of the dash vents, yea I know it kinda sucks. Have you ever changed any of those A/C compressors yourself or have you had then done for you? They are kind of a pain to do, and you are better off sending them out, because if you screw something up on it, you will be reaching into your wallet bigtime with system evacuation and freon recharging, but if you send it out, I know it will cost a lot but, it will get done by a qualified A/C tech and it will be covered under warrantee, take it from me I went through the same thing you are with my 87 deville, 3 times!!

Jack

1 - 20 of 46 Posts