Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'92 STS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 STS that I haven't driven all week. I got my motorcycle running finally, so the caddy sat. Last Sunday I had to move it out of the driveway to get the wife's car out, so I parked the caddy in the yard and left it there... Thing is, when I went to start it, I turned the key and nothing happened. I tried it a few times, but nothing. So I remembered this same thing would happen to my Beretta once in a while, and it was the neutral switch not working right. I shifted it to reverse and back to park, and then it started right up. I moved it into the yard and left it there.

Today, I got in it to take my kid to the park, and I turn the key and nothing happens. No clicking, nothing. If I turn the key to the on position, the dash stuff doesn't come on either. I don't remember 100% if it did before or not, but I thought it did. I don't get my odometer reading, the HVAC readout doesn't show up, nothing. The ABS light and the brake light does come on. I tried shifting to reverse and then to park, but that doesn't do anything now.

I've hooked up a good battery, jumped it to another running car, and nothing still. I checked the starter relay beside the driver seat and it does click when I turn the key to the start position.

I jumped the solenoid on the starter and the car will turn over and start, but only run for about 1 - 2 seconds, then it quits immediately and will not start again unless I let it sit for a while (or turn the key off for a while, not sure which).

I checked all the fuses I could find, and I even swapped out some of the relays and still nothing.

The other thing I noticed was the security light is not on in the dash either.

I'm not sure what to do. I thought it would be the neutral switch, but if the car will not stay running, and the dash lights are not on, I'm not sure it would be that now.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Physically remove the battery and replace it with a known good one to test the battery. If it starts and runs, replace the battery. While you are there check the battery cables for corrosion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts