Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the stat on my Seville. Heater worked for one day through vents, but now back to defrost mode, yet has hot air. Just noticed a small amount of coolant leak. The leak is on the side of the engine where the serpentine belt is, which I just replaced, and the coolant is getting on the belt. I did not add any coolant pellets when I installed the new thermostat. I did it on a cold engine, opened the radiator cap, removed the old stat and replaced the new one. Topped off the radiator and over fill tank with coolant. I'm running at about 205 degrees average, which is alot higher than it was before the new stat. The old stat was stuck open. Now the system is properly pressurizing but has a coolant leak. If by chance it is the water pump leaking, will the pellets stop the leak??

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
It sounds like something didn't seal properly . Clean it and try to tell exactly where it is leaking. Possibly there is some corrosion on the metal pieces that will need some sealer (glue type).
I'd try to fix it right.
The thermostat will now let the engine heat to whatever temp it is made for, like 200 degrees, without it the engine heats to whatever the radiator can handle and that'll vary but usually less than the thermostat setting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zonie77 said:
It sounds like something didn't seal properly . Clean it and try to tell exactly where it is leaking. Possibly there is some corrosion on the metal pieces that will need some sealer (glue type).
I'd try to fix it right.
The thermostat will now let the engine heat to whatever temp it is made for, like 200 degrees, without it the engine heats to whatever the radiator can handle and that'll vary but usually less than the thermostat setting.
It's not leaking from the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Check the waterpump bolts and the upper timing cover bolts. It's been a while since I've looked at a 4.9, but I remember a bolt or two coming loose and leaking coolant. I snugged them up and the leak stopped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts