Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood release latch mechanism appears to be stuck on my 1991 Sedan Deville. The cable does not seem to be broken anywhere. I was able to see the cable from underneath the front end of the car, so I was able to verify it's not broken all the way to the point where it meets the latch mechanism.

I can pull on it from underneath the car, but it is already pulled back in the "release" direction as far as I can get it.

The hood is pulled completely shut and will nut budge open at all. The hood is not binding along any of its outside edges. I can tell by attempting to pull up on the hood that it is stuck on the latch.

It looks to me that if there is any chance to get the hood open without damaging it or the front grille, I'll have to somehow open it from underneath the car. Even though I can access and manipulate the release cable, I cannot see the latch itself.

Has anyone in the forum ever had to do this?

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
See where the cable end is hooked to the clip. It is possible the clip is broke?

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible that the clip is broken. As I have only one mirror, I could not get a look behind the latch. If I can get a second mirror that's small enough, I might be able to see what the actual problem is.

After struggling all day with the latch, I'm beginning to think that just cutting through it with a hack saw blade may be the only (barely) feasible option. With the hood closed (all the way down), and not able to get the latch mechanism to rotate at all, it's not really possible to maneuver any tools behind it.

What's the latch and the tamper shield in front of it made out of? Is it steel or aluminum?

I don't know what else I can do that won't damage the hood.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
Can you see the latch looking through the grille? Your cable hooks on the backside and if looking through the grille, the release lever hangs down and would need to be moved to the right in order to release. You might be able to get a 1/4" piece of rod bent with a 90 degree angle at the end about 4 or 5 inches from the bend. It would need to hook the lever and push to the right. This is from the backside where you can't see. I need to figure out how to post an image without a link.

·
Registered
1995 Deville, 86K miles
32 Posts
I know you have it fixed by now but if it happens again have someone pull the hood release while you push down on the hood above the hood catch. You push down while they have the release pulled and then you let the pressure off of the hood while they still have the release pulled. It works most of the time.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I know you have it fixed by now but if it happens again have someone pull the hood release while you push down on the hood above the hood catch. You push down while they have the release pulled and then you let the pressure off of the hood while they still have the release pulled. It works most of the time.
That's the Fonzie fist tap tits

1 - 7 of 7 Posts