Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chasing this for a while and cannot figure it out.
After I've been driving the car for a while it will not crank. I've ruled out the passkey. I can start it if i jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, which led me to replace the starter enable relay and still symptom.
I'm at a loss anyone have insight into this?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Starters that are on their last leg, don't like heat. Is there ANY noise when you try to start it hot?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Replace the starter solenoid. When it gets hot the contacts expand and open the circuit. When it cools down they contract and close the circuit again. Remember, it's tucked in right under the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Replace the starter solenoid. When it gets hot the contacts expand and open the circuit. When it cools down they contract and close the circuit again. Remember, it's tucked in right under the exhaust manifold.
91 is still 4.9. Probably the same problem just easier to get to.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
That's why I said that. If it where a 4.6 it probably would not even be a problem.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Even better, you can replace those copper contacts for about $2 without replacing the entire solenoid. They are usually readily available

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not the solenoid, as i jump the contacts with a screwdriver and it starts no problem, starter has been replaced.
Did some more investigating and the enable relay does not click when it won't start so im thinking something upstream, ignition switch maybe?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out the ignition switch. Swapped it out and cracked it open to find the contacts all burnt up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts