Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 62k mile DeVille (1991) has yet another new problem. The key is starting to get difficult to remove from the ignition. When I got the car, the old woman had about 5 different sets of keys to the car... three of them were the pass-keys for the ignition. Unless I am using one she didn't use often, there must be something wrong with the keys or ignition. I have tried one of the other keys and it does it as well. The key goes in the switch easily and will turn over easy, but removing is a different story. I have to fidget with it to get it to release from the switch. It seems like it gets worse as the days go by. I am about to the point where I am going to leave it in the ignition and just lock the car and use my other key to unlock the door. *I probably should not have, bu I put a little "3 in 1 oil" on the key and put it in the switch, but it didn't seem to help.

Is the switch going bad, or? Thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
My 62k mile DeVille (1991) has yet another new problem. The key is starting to get difficult to remove from the ignition. When I got the car, the old woman had about 5 different sets of keys to the car... three of them were the pass-keys for the ignition. Unless I am using one she didn't use often, there must be something wrong with the keys or ignition. I have tried one of the other keys and it does it as well. The key goes in the switch easily and will turn over easy, but removing is a different story. I have to fidget with it to get it to release from the switch. It seems like it gets worse as the days go by. I am about to the point where I am going to leave it in the ignition and just lock the car and use my other key to unlock the door. *I probably should not have, bu I put a little "3 in 1 oil" on the key and put it in the switch, but it didn't seem to help.

Is the switch going bad, or? Thanks.
-========================
try a 2 second shot of WD40 in the lock cylinder -
then insert and remove the key 15 to 20 times - without turning it -
followed by another 2 second shot -

give each key a spray - and wipe them off -

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
What happens when you try to remove the key while slightly rotating the wheel left to right. A slight jiggle like that may help. I dunno if I'd spray anything in there but that's just me

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the same. There is no pressure on the lock with the steering wheel. It is just the key is not wanting to release easily. This car has been something else. I never had problems out of my '93 Fleetwood. :(

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
What happens when you try to remove the key while slightly rotating the wheel left to right. A slight jiggle like that may help. I dunno if I'd spray anything in there but that's just me
-----------------------------
the car is 24 years old -
my theory is that the tumblers in lock cylinder are dirty and sticking -
thus - not releasing the key -

WD40 is about the thinnest spray lube/cleaner I know of -
that won't leave a lot of crap behind -

the first spray will clean/lube the tumblers -
the second spray will flush the dirt away -

can't hurt -

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Well I had already used the 3-in-1 oil and it seems to have worked. The key is easier to remove, especially if I place my fingers up near the switch itself and sort of "pinch" the key out. It seems like it was the "chip" in the key that was sticking. I don't remember my '91 Caprice Classic doing this, but I don't remember if it had that anti-theft chip or not. I know my old '91 Camaro RS V6 did.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts