Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just learned how to check my 91 deville for codes using the off+warmer buttons via instructions on this site. I also read some info about being able to access all kinds of neat info using this "diagnostics mode" like sensor voltages, temperatures, etc. Most of this info seemed to be applicable to North* cars only and I was wondering if someone could let me know what im able to do in my 91. ANY info thats applicable to my 91 is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

My buddy has a 91 Deville. That is a very limited OBD. All I managed to figure out how to do was get the codes.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You can probably get that kind of information from it but if you don't have the service manual you won't be able to figure out what any of it means.

·
Registered
92 Deville
548 Posts
I got alot of info out of the DIC but don't know what it means.
I got an 89 Seville.
I held in the reset button for about 2 min. and all kinds of codes came up.

·
Registered
92 Deville
548 Posts
What I got into gave Oxy sensor readinge in volts.
It gave many others that I don't remember right now.
I was trying to reset the oil life, and fineally accomplished it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can anyone who has a service manual look this up for me? I saw a little flowchart somewhere explaning the DTC on the northstars.. but not much for my car. thanks again.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
There are a number of switch tests and the the ECM data series (sensor readings) available on your DeVille.

The switch tests mostly have to do with cruise control, and must be done in 10 second increments in sequence, so you won't get much from them unless you have a manual.

The ECM data series is accessed by waiting until the system has displayed all trouble codes and reads .7.0, then pushing the "Lo" button. The display will switch to E.9.0. To begin advancing through the data series, push the "Hi" button. The display will first read P.0.1, then flash a sensor reading. Push "Hi" to advance to P.0.2 and so on. To return to a previous reading, press "Lo." You can exit the sequence at any time by turning off the key for 10 seconds.

I'd strongly recommend getting a factory service manual specific to your car (eBay has them often for less than 30 bucks - it will pay for itself many times over!) Here's the list of data series readings for an '87 SDV. I'm not certain your '91 is exactly the same:

P.0.1 Throttle angle (in degrees)
P.0.2 MAP sensor value in kilopascals
P.0.3 BARO value in kilopascals
P.0.4 Coolant temp (Celcius)
P.0.5 Manifold air temp (Celcius)
P.0.6 Injector pulse width (milliseconds)
P.0.7 Oxygen sensor voltage
P.0.8 Spark advance (degrees)
P.0.9 Ignition cycle counter
P.1.0 Battery voltage
P.1.1 Engine rpms
P.1.2 Vehicle speed
P.1.3 Oxygen sensor cross counts
P.1.4 Fuel Integrator
P.1.5 VCC volts
P.1.6 ECM Prom ID

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
I would think that data series would work across the board for cars with that version of OBD I. If someone can verify this, post back. This would be great info to add to the thread that I put a link up for in my previous post. It is a Sticky at the top of the "HT4100 (4.1) | 4.5 | 4.9" section.

Great info, noahsdad. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Deville
548 Posts
I got into all that noasdad listed plus A/C hi & low side,
Door ajar listed all 4 doors.
trunk open
I think it listed all the warnings I could recieve on the DIC.

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
many of the codes, from 87-93 are the same (error wise) but other ones, some depend on Prom setting number, engine type, body style, etc. IE - units with heated windshields will have diffrent diag charts then those that dont. anything electronic related to the ECM or BCM can be Accessed, and sometimes tested through the CCP. sensors, spark advance (*reading what cpu is commanding spark to be) etc can all be easily accessed right there in the drivers seat, as well as commanding fans high, low, *medium if you've got the third relay from factory as well as comamnding EGR valve open or closed, ISC in or ISC out, (helpful for diagnosing low idle, stall condition, or bad isc) many other things. hit me up [email protected] and i'll try to send you a pdf of your year's computer diagnostic center codes, switches, and procedures for doing some tests, diagnostic charts for error codes, etc. i dont have all the years, but i may be able to provide you with more info then chiltons or haynes has for your car.

phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts