Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, in the fall i picked up a 91 deville, turns out i found out the system is totally out of Freon and the compressor does not work at all, after a recharge i am assuming the compressor hopefully will start working again, a mechanic was telling me something about after a certain amount of time when the compressors dont work they lock up somehow and need to be unlocked, has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
You may need to clear the BCM codes, The climate control system has features that shut down the compressor when ever it detects a problem. Such as low freon. This is done to protect the compressor from damage. The compressor oil is carried in suspension mixed with the freon. Without enough freon, the pump will not get enough oil to keep it lubricated. There is a pressure switch on the accumulator that senses the low freon. When a charging hose is connected, The pressure rises enough to reset this switch. If the compressor does not automatically start, Then resetting the BCM codes will start it.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
You may need to clear the BCM codes, The climate control system has features that shut down the compressor when ever it detects a problem. Such as low freon. This is done to protect the compressor from damage. The compressor oil is carried in suspension mixed with the freon. Without enough freon, the pump will not get enough oil to keep it lubricated. There is a pressure switch on the accumulator that senses the low freon. When a charging hose is connected, The pressure rises enough to reset this switch. If the compressor does not automatically start, Then resetting the BCM codes will start it.

^^^ yeah that. If that doesn't work, jump the low side pressure switch with a paper clip or piece of wire.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
a system with a leak will be empty and moisture make work its way into tubing/compressor. the moisture can cause rust/corrosion and may cause the compressor to stick but the engine has plenty of torque to turn it over. but a leak means something is out of whack. pinhole in condenser, bad seal on compressor, failed a/c line. lots of places to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts