Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
956 Posts
The spring clip is for the injector plug. Once removed, you can twist the injector to gain access to the injector's electrical connection so you can test the resistance.

To remove the injectors, you have to remove the fuel rail.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville 4.9l 80k miles
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Omg I don't even want to know how bad it is to remove the frame rail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ok so I had a feeling to try and retest fuel pressure. So, I reconnected my really short fuel pressure gauge. I almost taped my cell phone in a position to video it while it acts up going down the road. But I thought better of it. I connected drove till it acted up a little. At idle the fuel gauge was jumping extremely erratically between 35-40. Does it jumping like that indicate no constant fuel pressure? It seems to me that if it were to start the miss condition the fuel pump is the issue!?!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
35-40psi should be OK, but should be close to steady. Hit the throttle once or twice and see what happens. If it falls drastically, it's probably a bad pump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok I cut my pressure gauge line an added 5' so, I could stick it on my windshield. I did that and it stayed pretty close to 35 to 40. I got on the interstate (that were my problems usually start). All was good till I tried to accelerate and couldn't like it was missing gauge went down almost at the rate of my pedal almost to zero. When I let off it returned. does this confirm fuel pump? Hopefully I dont need a sending unit? How do I know? If I buy one at advanced 68 for carquest and 98 for acdelco. I should buy delco right?

·
Super Moderator
87,076 Posts
Yup, that's a failing fuel pump.

If you have no problem with the fuel gauge, the sending unit is probably OK, but then again, it's almost 30 yrs old. It's kind of a crap shoot. Same is true for brands. I believe the A/C Delco is manufactured by Airtex.

·
Super Moderator
87,076 Posts
I would have no problems with Airtex. No clue about Carquest, but probably OK. Just stay away from AutoZone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I called in to order and I was asked if it was 1.54" or 2". Never have been asked that before? Who makes delphi?

·
Registered
956 Posts
All (except possibly bosch) are made in China. Delphi has a higher quality assurance requirement (supplies oem to GM and others).

Airtex is a brand name mfg supplying same component too many for relabeling.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If I'm having someone drop the tank to put in a new pump and strainer is there anything that can be done to help with the baffles? Referring to the low fuel turn left and shut off problem.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
If I'm having someone drop the tank to put in a new pump and strainer is there anything that can be done to help with the baffles? Referring to the low fuel turn left and shut off problem.
======================
is there anything that can be done to help with the baffles?
no - the baffles are tack-welded in place during production -

you might consider replacing the tank -
a new SPECTRA PREMIUM GM20B is only $102 - with free shipping -

for the fuel pump - don't mess around -
just replace the entire assembly - including the sending unit - and be done with it -
SPECTRA PREMIUM SP07H1H - $99 - with free shipping -

SPECTRA PREMIUM stuff is high quality - and MADE IN NORTH AMERICA -

·
Registered
956 Posts
Original baffles are plastic. Heat and chemical lead to deterioration. (My guess is that the alcohol content has led to faster deterioration).

Baffles are not reparable. You should get a new tank which will have metal baffles.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
Original baffles are plastic. Heat and chemical lead to deterioration. (My guess is that the alcohol content has led to faster deterioration).

Baffles are not reparable. You should get a new tank which will have metal baffles.
==================
Original baffles are plastic.
you are correct - good catch -

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Ok so if I buy those two things from the links you sent are there any other parts I'm going to need? Is the strainer in the pump unit?

·
Registered
956 Posts
There is a strainer/filter that filters large particles to protect the pump. There is another fuel filter on the frame rail to filter the smaller particles. As your pump is likely failing, you should replace the fuel filter as it might be filled with stuff from the failing pump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I replaced that filter ie exterior fuel filter about a year ago before the problem. I did it when I did plugs, wires, and distributor cap. Is spectra a good brand?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts