Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 Deville (140Kmiles) just started to miss after being driven on the freeway in Phoenix when it was 113F outside. When engine had cooled off and temp was lower, it ran fine. Is there ignition components that bread down in the heat? Will be changing the fuel filter to see if that may be causing fuel flow problems but don't understand why it would be at high temps. Any input would be helpful.
Gordy

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
What I can think of:

(1) low fuel pressure, worn fuel pump?

(2) ignition components (probably something in the distributor) going bad.

I would check the fuel pressure and see if they are in a good shape or not. If they are fine, I think the problem is electrical. And it may not be apparent unless it gets hot, so it would be a hard problem to fix until the problem gets worse, so it would appear without being hot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Any codes?

You might want to check your distributor cap and rotor.

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
Adeltaman said:
Is there ignition components that bread down in the heat?
Gordy
The only ignition component notorious for heat related malfunctions is the ignition module. You could try removing it, replacing the dielectric grease under it, reinstalling it, then seeing if that helps. If you do that be careful of the plastic connectors on the internal distributor harness. They are going to be brittle. Pry them off slowly and carefully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One said fuel pump. I owned one of these and replaced the fuel pump 3 times upgrading in price each time the last time I found a ground wire on the bottom side of the sending unit loose. Tightened that and no more fuel delivery problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts