Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone....

New Caddy owner here after having many Porsche cars...several 928 V8 cars for the last 20 years....So now I own a dead '91 DeVille 4.9L that I'm trying to fix. I bought this car as not running and I have no history of it but it looks decent.

The engine cranking fine and strong but it won't start....The battery and terminals are fine....All fuses are good (both sides)....there's gas in the tank and there is spark...New distributor cap, rotor and plugs....I get error code F32 in the diagnostic panel....I suspect the ECU or BCM or BOTH are bad but I can't confirm that for sure.

I have located and pulled the BCM computer (behind the glove box) but I don't know where the ECU or ECM computer is located in a '91 DeVille...Can anyone help with this???

My thinking is to get a different BCM/ECM computer from a junk yard and try to start the car again. I hope to eliminate the F32 error code which by the way is too generic (loss of communications). I have unplugged and cleaned the plugs going to the BCM computer but the car still not starting...It's also puzzling to me that even when I spray starting fluid down the manifold the car will NOT START. It cranks all day long but it will not start:mad: I have sprayed almost an entire can of starting fluid down there and no start...At times it sounds like it might be catching and is ready to start but it never does.....

Anyway, to make the long story short, I will attempt to get a different BCM computer and see what happens....If anyone has any further suggestions on what else to try please email me ([email protected]) or post your ideas here....I'm not familiar with Caddy 4.9L engines so any suggestions will be appreciated....I just bought a Chilton's manual for the car and I'm learning about the car. But no mention on where the ECM computer is located.

Thanks in advance......Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update:

I have unplugged the BCM computer and cleaned the 2 plugs and contacts with electrical spray cleaner....Everything looks good to me, no corrosion issues....I plug the BCM computer back in and the F32 code is gone!!! No codes at all....

However, the car still won't start.....is cranking just fine but no start (Grrrrr)

Now the hunt for the ECM computer is on.....Does anyone have a clue where this damn ECM computer is located???

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have unplugged and visually checked the connections of both the ECM and the BCM....I have cleaned them both with electricl contact cleaner....Plug them back in and still I can not start the car.

Is there a way to check those two computers to see if they're actually good or bad??? Will Autozone or another Auto parts store have any specialty equipment to perform such check???

Happy New Year - Bill

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
If you're getting into the diagnostic mode, odds are that your computers are fine. The F32 code usually means that there was a data interruption of some kind - i.e. battery disconnected/dead, serp belt failure, etc. These Caddy computers rarely fail.

Go back to the basics: Fuel, spark, compression, timing. Go one step at a time starting from the simple to the more complex. This sounds like a coil issue to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts